If you’re looking for the best hand mixer, then you’ve certainly come to the right place. We’re going to give you the rundown on the top 5 hand mixers of the year to help you choose which one is right for you. We know, it can be a bit overwhelming to choose from all the options to find the best one. Don’t worry, we’ve done the hard work for you in testing out all the hand mixers to find the top options.
Best Hand Mixers: Top 6 to Consider
First, here’s a sneak peak at some of our top picks:
#1: Cuisinart Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Hand Mixer
The top pick for handheld mixer is this popular one from Cuisinart. While it is slightly more expensive than some of the other options, you certainly get what you pay for. In this case, you’re getting a powerful kitchen appliance that has a ton of features you’ll love. Plus, it’s very durable and should last you for years.
- Handheld mixer with 220-watt motor and automatic feedback
- Simple on/off button; 1-touch speed control and 9 speed options,BPA Free
- 3 low start speeds to prevent ingredients from splattering; snap-on clear storage case
- Includes beaters, chef's whisk, dough hooks, spatula, and instruction/recipe book
- Product Built to North American Electrical Standards
- 9-speeds, including 3 low-start speeds to prevent splattering
- LED display
- 220 watt motor
- Comes with a storage case
- BPA free
- Includes beaters, dough hook, spatula, and recipe book
- Dishwasher safe parts
What do People Think About It?
“I’ve been using this thing a few times a week for years now and have never had a problem with it. I love the slow speeds that you can start with that prevent a whole ton of mess. It’s not heavy, but it just feels solid in your hand and you can tell that it’s durable and is built to last (like most Cuisinart products).”
“Love the swivel cord that makes it easy to maneuver this thing around. Plus, the overall cord length is really nice and should work for most kitchens. It’s long enough to not be inconvenient, but not too too that it gets in the way.”
“If you’re looking for a powerful, durable hand mixer, then this one should be your first choice. I LOVE this thing and am super happy that I spend a bit more money on it. The difference in quality compared to the cheaper ones is obvious.”
Where Can I Get It?
Cuisinart Hand Mixer Review
#2: KitchenAid 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer
Next up on our list of the best hand mixers is this popular one from KitchenAid. It’s another top-quality mixer at a very reasonable price, especially when you consider the fact that it’s extremely durable and will last for years. Here are some of the things that you’re going to love about it.
- 7 Speeds: Combine ingredients at speed one for slowly stirring in chunky ingredients, speed four for...
- Soft Start Feature brings the beaters up to the selected speed gradually to help prevent ingredients...
- Lock the cord into either the left or right side of the mixer so you can approach ingredients from...
- Soft Grip Handle provides comfort while mixing
- Easily and quickly remove any accessory from the hand mixer with the single-handed press of a button
- Includes beaters and whisk
- 7-speed options
- Available in a variety of colors
- Soft start features prevents splatter and messes
- You can lock the cord on either the right or left side of the device
- Soft grip handle is comfortable to hold even for long periods or time
- Easy to use ejector button
- Dishwasher safe accessories
“Works great and is super easy to use. It’s a bit heavier than those flimsy ones, but the first time you turn it on, you see why. It has a ton of power and seems like it’ll last for years and years.”
“Super quiet, not too heavy and also very easy to handle. It’s more powerful than many other ones that I’ve used and I love the variety of interesting colors. I have a tiny kitchen so don’t have space for a stand mixer. This was exactly what I needed to get the job done.”
“My old beaters never really had a slow speed and I tolerated it for years. I decided to pick this one up, and man, what a difference! No more mess and annoying splatter for things like icing. My only regret it not getting a higher quality one of these things sooner than I did.”
Shop Now for the KitchenAid Hand Mixer
#3: Breville Handy Mix Hand Held Mixer
The next choice for top hand mixers on the market today is this one from Breville. It’s one of the most expensive hand beaters on the market today but it really is a top of the line smart appliance. The Breville Handy Mix automatically detects the accessory you’re using and adjust the speed based on what you’re mixing. Does it really work? In our experience, and according to the many reviews, yes. If you want to take your hand beater to the next level, then this is definitely the one for you.
- BEATER IQ TECHNOLOGY: Whether you’re whisking cream or kneading dough, the Handy Mix Scraper...
- QUIET SCRAPER BEATERS: No clinging or clanging in your kitchen. The rubber Scraper Beater maximizes...
- 9 SPEED SETTINGS: 9 speeds plus boost to ensure precise speed for your mixing load.
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN: An ergonomic handle creates a natural hand position so mixing never feels like a...
- COMPACT STORAGE: A detachable storage compartment houses all the attachments and swivel cord so...
- Intuitive interface automatically detects the attachment and substance being mixed to use the appropriate speed
- Powerful 240 watt motor
- Built-in timer
- Light that allows you to see the ingredients more easily while mixing
- Rubber tipped beaters mean no more banging against the edge of the bowl
- 9 speed settings
- Ergonomic handle
- Compact storage, ideal for small kitchens
“With all the features, I was afraid it might be kind of heavy, but it’s actually not at all. This thing is amazing. Seriously. Just buy it. It’s like taking hand beaters to the next level and is one of the highest quality kitchen appliances that I’ve bought in years.”
“The light, automatic speed adjustment, quiet beaters, etc, etc. There are just so many features and it’s hard to describe how amazing this thing is. Worth every penny I spent and more.”
“Like both the beaters and the wire whisk. It’s heavy-duty and seems like it’ll probably last for years.”
Order Yours Today
Breville Handy Mix Digital Hand Mixer Review
#4: VonShef Electric Hand Mixer
- ELECTRIC HAND MIXER: With a powerful 250W motor and turbo boost setting you can whisk, mix, knead,...
- STAINLESS STEEL ATTACHMENTS: Includes - 2x Beaters, Dough Hooks and a Balloon Whisk. The durable...
- 5 SPEED SETTINGS, TURBO BOOST & EJECTION BUTTON: The settings are all thumb operated and can be...
- LIGHTWEIGHT & EASY TO USE: The Hand Mixer also benefits from an easily transportable, compact &...
- STYLISH & SLEEK DESIGN: Robust Silver and Red Design. Dimensions - 7.2 x 4.3 x 3 inches (approx.)....
Another option for the best hand mixer is this one from VonShef, a trusted name in kitchen appliances. At 250 Watts, it’s one of the most powerful electric hand mixers on this list. There are a number of additional reasons why you might want to consider this hand held mixer over the competition.
- 5-speed + turbo button
- Includes beaters, whisk and dough hook attachments
- Powerful 250 watt motor
- All the buttons are thumb operated, making it very easy to adjust the speed during beating
- Compact in size
- Attachments are dishwasher safe
- Stylish red color and design
- Long power cable (1m)
What People are Saying About It
“I chose this one because of the reasonable price and the variety of attachments included with it. It has ended up being one of the best hand mixers I’ve ever used. Super powerful, easy to clean and it’s obviously very well designed.”
“Great product that works exactly as advertised. I’ve been using it a few times a week for six months and it’s showing no signs of wear and tear. Super happy with it, especially when you consider the price.”
“Nice price and great quality. The stainless steel beaters and whisk are well-designed and do a nice job at everything I’ve tried so far.”
Where Can I Get It?
#5: Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer
Rounding out our list of the best handheld mixers is the cheapest one of the list. It’s from Hamilton Beach, makes of some other top-quality kitchen appliances for a range of uses. Although it’s cheaper in price, it’s a powerful, durable device that gets the job done. It just doesn’t have the flashy design and bells and whistles of some of the more expensive options.
- Mix with ease: With 6 speeds, including the quickest button, you can adjust this kitchen mixer to...
- Easy to handle: With 250 watts of peak power hand mixer.
- Bowl rest feature: A built-in groove lets you rest the hand mixer over the bowl, so drips go where...
- Versatile attachments: The kitchen mixer includes easy to clean set of traditional beaters and...
- Snap-on storage case: This hand mixer includes a handy snap-on storage case—no more lost beaters
- Includes snap-on case
- 250 watts of power
- Bowl-rest feature
- Six speeds, with a quick burst option
- Includes beaters and whisk
“Awesome little mixer from Hamilton Beach that’s basic but gets the job done. It has a surprising number of features when you consider how cheap it is, including the snap-on storage and bowl rest feature. Impressed and would certainly recommend it to any home cooks out there.”
“A good amount of power for making icing, or creaming butter and sugar. So far, it seems durable enough and I was extremely happy with the price.”
“A powerful mixer that works as advertised. However, it’s quite difficult to get everything to fit properly into the case. Not a big deal, but just wish it was a bit better designed.”
Get Yours Today
You can easily find this top-quality hand held mixer on Amazon so check now for the best prices:
#6: Black & Decker Lightweight Hand Mixer
- 5 Speeds plus Power Boost
- Comfort Grip - The lightweight mixer features an ergonomic grip for comfortable operation
- Heel and Bowl Rest - The heel of the mixer is designed to rest upright on the counter or sit on the...
- Dishwasher-Safe Parts
If you’re looking for a powerful hand mixer, then this one from Black & Decker is certainly one to consider. Coming in at 175 Watts, it’s powerful enough to get the job done, even for thick batters. Keep on reading to find out more about one of our favourite options for handheld mixers.
- 175 Watts
- Beaters are removable and dishwasher safe
- 5 speeds + power boost
- Comfortable, ergonomic grip
- Heel and bowl rest
“As far as handheld mixers go, this is a good option and works as well as any that I’ve used in the past. It’s durable so far and hasn’t burnt out, even with thick cake batter or cookie dough. The low speed is low enough for delicate stuff and the high speed is great for things like egg whites.”
“This hand mixer is lighter in weight than most other options which has allowed me to use it for a while without getting fatigued. Egg whites? No problem with this thing! It’s powerful too.”
Buy it Today
This one from Black & Decker is one of the best handheld mixers available. Click the button below to head over to Amazon to find out more and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Hand Mixer
There are a number of things you’ll want to think about before putting down your money for a new hand held mixer. Here are some of the most important ones.
#1: The Base
You’ll want to take the base into consideration when choosing which hand mixer is right for you. The ones that have bases which are too small will topple over easily if there is any food on the beaters. Is it annoying? Most certainly yes, so consider getting a machine with a wider, stable base to avoid this at all costs.
#2: Power (Measured in Watts)
The most powerful electric hand mixers have around 250 watts of power. Usually, the more the better because you’ll be able to churn through things like dough (with a dough hook) or large amounts of stiff icing.
All hand mixers come with beaters, but some of them also include a dough hook and whisk. These extras can be super handy, depending on what you plan to use your beater for.
You can spend at little as $20, or over $100 on a hand mixer. In our experience, the ones in the $30-50 range are a nice mix of nice design and durability, but reasonable price. The most expensive mixers have a ton of features that most people don’t really need, like a light for example.
#5: Weight and Feel
If you plan to use your mixer for things like meringue which takes a while to make, then you’ll want to ensure that’s in light in weight and has a nice feel in your hand along with easy grip. Otherwise, your hand can get very fatigued.
#6: Speed Settings
The best hand mixers have a number of speed settings, starting with very slow so that you can prevent splatter when you’re getting started. Then, it goes up to very fast for things like meringue.
#7: Customer Reviews
As with any product that you might consider buying, it’s prudent to check and see what people are saying about it first. In this case, we recommend taking a look at the 3-4 star reviews for handheld mixers on Amazon because they give a great indication of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses. This will help you decide on the best hand mixer for your needs.
Hand Mixer FAQs
There are some common questions that people ask about handheld mixers and beaters. Here are the answers to some of the most popular ones.
What is the Best Hand Mixer?
When you’re looking for the best hand mixer, you’ll want to consider power, durability, accessories, price, weight and number of speed settings. In general, we recommend Cuisinart and KitchenAid hand mixers.
Are Hand Mixers Good?
Electric hand mixers are good for a number of tasks in the kitchen including cake batter, meringues, as well as whisking egg whites, making whipped cream and creaming butter with sugar. Stand mixers do much the same job but don’t require the user to be so involved in the process.
How Long do Hand Mixers Last?
Top quality hand mixers can last for 10 years or more. However, the cheaper ones are known to burn out within a few years if used heavily because the motor components are not as heavy-duty.
What is the Best Wattage for a Hand Mixer?
The best wattage for a hand mixer is between 200 and 250 watts of power and it can be difficult to find one with more than that. For thinner batters or something like whipped cream, this is enough power. However, for thicker things like cookie or bread dough, consider getting a far more powerful stand mixer.
What is Better: Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer?
A stand mixer can do everything a hand mixer can do and more including cookie and bread dough so most people consider it to be better. However, stand mixers also take up a permanent space on the countertop and are also far more expensive.
Can a Hand Mixer Make Dough?
It’s not recommended to use a hand mixer for cookie or bread dough. Although handheld mixers can be used to mix sugar and butter together for example, it’s not powerful enough to mix it once you add the other dry ingredients like flour. Instead, consider a stand mixer for this task.
What is the Difference Between a Hand Blender and Hand Mixer?
Although they’re both small kitchen appliances, they have very different tasks. A hand blender mixes things together (butter and sugar) or whips air into things (cream or egg whites). A hand blender is designed to pulverize things like creamy soups, hummus, or smoothies.
Can you Hand Mix Instead of Using a Mixer?
You can certainly do any task you’d use a mixer for by hand. However, it will take you a really long time to whip cream or beat egg whites for example if you don’t have an electric device to assist with this.
How do you Use a Handheld Mixer Without Making a Mess?
Handheld mixers can certainly make a mess if you don’t use the correct technique. First, find a large and deep enough bowl for the task. Then, keep the hand mixer upright instead of angled to the side in order to prevent messy splatter.
Do you Need a Hand Mixer to Make Cookies?
You don’t need a hand mixer to make cookies. Instead, it’s possible to blend the butter into the sugar by hand if you ensure that the butter is soft enough first. Then, use a wooden spoon to mix up the rest of the ingredients into that.
Can you Cream Butter and Sugar with a Handheld Mixer?
A handheld mixer is the perfect tool for creaming butter and sugar together. Start on low speed at first and then increase to medium once the mixture is incorporate. It should take only a minute or two. Scrape down the sides of the bowl once it’s done.
Can I Use a Hand Mixer in a Glass Bowl?
If possible to use a glass bowl with a hand mixer. You might also consider using stainless steel, ceramic or plastic. The only negative to using glass bowls with mixers is that they might be a bit noisier than using plastic ones. Whatever you choose, make sure it has high enough sides to prevent splatter.
Can I Use a Hand Mixer for Mashed Potatoes?
Starch is released when you mash potatoes and the more you mash them, the more starch is released. For this reason, hand mixers or stand mixers are not the preferable option because the result can be gummy, gluey potatoes. Instead, consider mashing potatoes by hand.
Have your Say about the Best Hand Mixer
What’s your pick for the best hand mixer of the year? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other cooking enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API