Are you currently scraping by without a good pair of kitchen shears? Well, you most certainly shouldn’t be! Kitchen scissors are one of the most versatile food prep tools out there and no kitchen is complete without them.
We’ll get into all the details you need to know about how to choose the best pair of cooking shears, along with the best ones that we recommend. But, here’s a quick sneak peak at some of our top picks:
Why Consider Kitchen Shears?
Why do you need them? Well, they’re kinda like the Swiss Army knife of the kitchen. They’re useful for opening packaging, cutting meat or sausages, pizza, or just about anything. All that meat at the local stir fry restaurant? It was probably cut up in large part with scissors!
Still not convinced? Go to a local Korean BBQ where you grill the meat at the table. How do you cut it up? With kitchen shears of course. They can help to simplify meal prep in a big way.
Top 5 Kitchen Shears
Okay, so you want to know our top picks for a pair of kitchen scissors? We’ll give you the straight goods right here! Keep on reading if you want some help choosing the right pair for your needs.
#1: Zwilling J.A. Henckels Kitchen Shears
- Forged steel blades
- Screw assembly for easy access to sharpening
- Dishwasher safe
- Each are assembled with a screw for precise blade movement and ease of sharpening
- Henckels kitchen shears are dishwasher safe
J.A. Henckels is one of the most trusted names in cooking knives and their shears are no exception to this top quality. They have all the features that you’d expect like easy sharpening, and a screw at the pivot point for easy cleaning. Find out more about why we like them so much by reading more.
- Blades are made from forged steel
- Screw allows you to take apart the blades for easier cleaning
- Dishwasher safe, although we recommend washing by hand to keep the blades sharper
- Well balanced
- Comfortable, non-slip grip
“Can be used for right, or left handers and are super sharp. Seriously. They can cut through anything easily, including bone. Super smooth feel to them and I think that they’re made in Germany.”
“Probably the best pair of cooking scissors out there, and they’ve been around for years now. I think a lot of companies try to imitate them, but nothing really compares to these ones in terms of quality and how easy they are to use. I regularly roast whole chickens and then use these things to cut them up into quarters. It’s so easy.”
Do you want to find out more about this popular kitchen shear? Click the button below to head over to Amazon and don’t forget to check and see if this product is eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#2: Shun Kitchen Shears
- From opening packages to cutting through a lobster shell, from cutting up dried fruit to trimming...
- Both shears included in the set have high-carbon, molybdenum-vanadium, stainless steel blades for an...
- The Premium Kitchen Shears are sturdy enough to spatchcock chicken or turkey; a built-in notch makes...
- Extra-fine 16° cutting edge on the Shun Herb Shears cuts cleanly through the leaves of delicate...
- Interlock screw in the handles allows users to adjust the blade tension to suit user preferences;...
This set of shears includes an all-round kitchen shear, along with herb shear. Although they’re quite expensive, they’re so, so worth it and you’ll have these things in years from now! From the first second you have them in your hands, you’ll notice the quality difference compared to the cheaper options.
Like our previous selection, Shun is also one of the top names in kitchen knives and they have a reputation for some excellent quality products.
- Set of two (regular, and herb shears)
- Ideal for cutting shells, bones, packaging, greens, herbs, etc.
- High-carbon, stainless steel blades
- Super sharp right out of the box
- Blades stay sharp for a long time
- Interlock screw allows you to adjust the tension
- Blades separate for easy cleaning and sharpening
- Ideal for both right and left-handers
“Probably the best pair of poultry shears I’ve ever owned. They cut through a large turkey in just a few seconds. Seriously. I know it sounds crazy but these are just so sharp.”
“Honestly could not make these kitchen scissors any better than they are. So sharp that things sometimes even cut before I close the blades fully. They’re perfect for trimming herbs without damaging the stems.”
Where Can I Get Them?
Do they sound like the best kitchen scissors that come apart for your needs? You can easily find them on Amazon. Check now for the lowest prices:
#3: Wusthof Come-Apart Kitchen Shears
- wide variety of use
- for everyday use
- Not dishwasher safe
- come apart for easy cleaning
- everyday kitchen use
If you’re looking for a decent quality, but slightly more affordable option, then you’ll certainly want to consider these ones from Wusthof. They get the job done and are durable enough that they should last you for years. But the best part? They won’t break the bank. Read more to find out what we like about them so much.
- Ideal for a wide variety of uses
- Hand washing is recommended
- Comes apart for easy cleaning
- Blade is super sharp, right out the box
What do People Think About Them?
“Quality is nice and they fit into my knife block really easily. Sharp enough to cut through anything and have stayed sharp for a few months now. Nice purchase when you consider the price of them.”
“Love these things! Some friends who used them when they came over to my house liked them so much that they ordered their own pair. The fact that they come apart makes them ideal for raw meat because you can wash them easily.”
Order Yours Today
Do you want to find out more about these kitchen scissors that come apart for easier cleaning? Then you’ll need to click the button below to head over to Amazon:
#4: Tojiro-Pro Kitchen Shears
- Japan Knife Brand Tojiro's Kitchen Scissers.
- Since washable by removing the blade, hygienic.
- Cut the ingredients, chop, opened the bag, you can use the versatile cut crab, Futaake screw, bottle...
- All Stainless.
- Japan Import
If you’re looking for some Japanese Kitchen Shears then you’ll certainly want to consider these ones from Tojiro-Pro. They are one of the top Japanese brands when it comes to knives and they are most definitely top-quality. Find out more about why we like to recommend them.
- Blades can be separated for easier cleaning and sharpening
- Stainless steel
- Made in Japan
- Blades are super sharp and stay that way for a long time
- Can be used for a variety of tasks in the kitchen
- Well balanced in your hands
- Ergonomic handles
“I’m a professional chef and have purchased lots of shears over the years from Germany and Japan. But, these are by far the best ones I’ve ever owned. The fit and the finish of them is almost unbelievable—you really do have to see these things to believe it. Once you try them, you’ll know how worth it they are to import them from Japan!”
“I got so tired of replacing the plastic handled kitchen shears all too often. That’s the major weak point usually, not the blades. However, these Tojiro-Pro ones overcome that by having metal handles. I feel like they’re the last pair I will ever have to buy.”
Get These Japanese Kitchen Scissors Now
Do you want to find out more about them? Click the button below to check them out on Amazon and to look for the best prices:
#5: Cutco Super Shears
- Come apart for easy cleaning, Simply open shears and release at the bolt.
- Comfort handle - Universal fit - large or small, left or right hand. Comfortable handle helps reduce...
- Strong blades - Strong enough to cut through the toughest materials. (Do not use to cut through...
- 440A High-Carbon, Stainless Steel Micro-D serrated edge
- Like all Cutco products, the Super Shears are guaranteed forever.
Rounding out our list of the best kitchen scissors are these ones from Cutco. Although expensive, they may be the last pair of shears that you ever have to buy. Yes, they really are that good and you’ll be cutting your way through just about anything in no time at all.
And of course, we love companies who stand behind their products. In this case, Cutco kitchen shears come with a lifetime warranty.
- Model 77
- Kitchen shears that come apart for easy cleaning
- Comfortable handle to reduce hand fatigue
- Universal fit (right or left hands, big or small)
- Super strong blades but in order not to dull them, don’t cut through wire or other metal
- High-carbon stainless steel blades
- Lifetime guarantee
“Never gets dull and holds the edge for years. Sure, it’s expensive, but it’ll last you for decades. We only bought another pair because we lost our first ones when moving.”
“Comes apart with a quick twist for easier cleaning or sharpening. But, they stay together super well when cutting, even through cartilage or bone. However, in my experience so far, they never need sharpening nor do I anticipate that they ever will!”
Where Can I Find Them?
Do you want to know more about them? Check them out for yourself on Amazon, and don’t forget to see if they’re eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
Features to Consider When Choosing the Best Kitchen Shears
There are a number of important factors that you’ll want to consider when choosing the perfect pair of cooking shears for your home. Here are a few of the most important ones.
If you want to get the maximum power possible like when cutting through bone or cartilage, then you’ll want to have the pivot point, or fulcrum further down the blade. On a set of kitchen snips, for example, the blades are short so that you can exert a ton of force.
The highest quality shears will have an adjustable pivot screw on them. This is to allow for easy cleaning, and you can also tighten, or loosen tension depending on what you’re cutting.
Blades and Handles
Look for the blade and tang (the metal that extends into the handle) to be one piece. This makes the cooking shears far more durable and the handles won’t twist or snap when cutting through tough materials like bone.
Secondly, if the blades are a little bit serrated, you’ll find that it’s much easier to slice through and also grip certain foods like meat.
In terms of blade materials, the two main options are carbon steel or stainless steel. Carbon steel is more expensive, but also sharper to begin with and can be easier to sharpen. Due to the fact that carbon can rust, you’ll usually find them coated with something like chrome or nickel.
On the other hand, stainless steel is cheaper and also has the advantage of being rust resistant. However, it’s difficult to keep them sharp and they don’t hold an edge well.
If possible, pick up the cooking scissors in your hand. Hold them with two fingers around the middle point. They should balance well which means that the metal from the blade extends up into the handles. If they tip towards the blade instead, this means that that end is heavier and the handles are probably not that sturdy or durable.
Ease of Cleaning
If you plan on using your kitchen shear for raw meat or fish, then you’ll want something that is very easy to clean. To this end, you’ll want separating blades that come apart so you can get in there are the pivot point to clean them thoroughly.
While important at home, this factor is especially vital in professional food prep situations. And, if you want separate the blades, you’ll find that they’re much easier to sharpen.
Right or Left Handed Use
Many kitchen shears are designed for both right and left handers. However, if you’re left handed, we recommend trying them out in a store first before buying online to see if the particular brand is right for you. We know that the world is not a friendly place to you lefties out there in terms of kitchen tools and appliances!
Comfort and Handle Size
If you’re going to be using your pair of kitchen scissors for a long time like in a restaurant, then you’ll want to pay attention to the ergonomics of it. It should be very comfortable to use and have handles that are easy to grip, even when your hands are wet. You’ll also want to ensure a roomy grip that doesn’t cramp your hands up in an uncomfortable position.
As with any kitchen tool that you might be considering buying, checking reviews is always prudent. We recommend starting on Amazon, particularly the 3-4 star reviews. They will give you the most accurate portrayal of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses.
Of course, price is a consideration. You can get a cheap pair of kitchen shears for just a few bucks. But, we don’t recommend it. We generally prefer the ones that are around $20 or more that should last you a lifetime.
These more expensive ones are comfortable to use, have blades that can be sharpened and also come apart for easy cleaning. The overall experience will just be that much better with them.
You’ll find that kitchen pruners that are upwards of $100 are NICE. Like really nice and the same quality and construction that you’d expect from a nice chef’s knife in that price range.
Kitchen Shears vs. Scissors: What’s the Deal?
Although we use these two words kind of interchangeably, there are some subtle differences between shears and scissors. Of course, they both have blades and handles. But, scissors have equal sized handles and blades that are smaller—usually less than 6 inches.
Shears usually have blades longer than 6 inches and the bottom handle is larger and more oblong. We generally prefer these larger ones for kitchen tasks. But, you can get speciality scissors for different tasks like poultry, fish and herbs.
How Can I Care For and Maintain My Kitchen Shears?
Okay, so you’ve dropped a few pennies on your shiny new pair of cooking shears. Now, how you look after them so that they last as long as possible? Here are our top tips for you:
- Most meat scissors or cooking shears are dishwasher safe, however hand washing can keep the blades sharper.
- Allow to dry fully before closing the blades together
- If you have blades that are carbon steel, wipe them with an oiled paper towel after washing.
- Regularly put a drop of oil on the pivot screw (if you have) to keep that functioning well.
- Sharpen non-serrated scissors regularly.
- You may have to get serrated shears professionally sharpened as this is very difficult to do at home.
Have your Say about the Best Kitchen Shears
What’s your top pick for a pair of cooking shears? Is it one from this list, or do you have your eye on another brand? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other cooking enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2020-03-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API