As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. What does this mean? I recommend products (only ones that I like) and if you purchase a product through that link, I earn some money.
The mortar and pestle seems like it’s been around almost as long as time itself. The earliest ones date back to 35,000 BC. That’s old, right?
Mortar and Pestle: Why Do I Need Them?
Before we get into all the reasons why you need one of these things in your kitchen, and our top five picks, here’s a sneak peak at some of our favourites:
These handy tools have historically been using for a variety of purposes, from food preparation to medicinal use to masonry, alchemy and more. A pestle and mortar is a very handy tool that no household should be without!
Do you want to crack spices like peppercorns? No problem! Crush up medicine for your kids or pets? Easy peasy. Crush basil to make a delicious pesto. You’ll never use the food processor again! Hand grinding is just so much better for bringing out subtle flavours than an electric appliance like a coffee bean grinder. Plus, clean-up is quicker and easier too.
Plus, they have a nice, decorative feel to them and make a nice addition to any countertop. In particular, the granite and stone ones are perfect for this purpose.
Top 5 Mortar and Pestles
Are you looking for the top picks to grind things up at home? Do you find all the choices overwhelming and aren’t sure where to start? Not to worry. We’ve done the hard work for you. Keep on reading for our top five picks.
#1: ChefSofi Granite Mortar and Pestle
- A KITCHEN MUST-HAVE Mortar and pestle set (mortero de cocina - morter and pessel - molcajete or...
- VERSATILE TOOL Take advantage of your brand new stone motar and pedestal set’s various...
- EFFORTLESS USE This ChefSofi stone mocajetes motor & pedestal set was designed with your...
- QUICK CLEANING & ZERO KITCHEN MESSES As granite is inherently durable and heavy, this mortar will...
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE We want you to be absolutely elated with your moter and pestle set, which...
Our top pick for mortar and pestle is this large granite one that not only gets the job done quickly and easily, but it also looks great in any home kitchen or restaurant.
Besides that, we love companies that stand behind their products. And ChefSofi certainly does, offering a full refund in case you’re not happy with it. Try it risk free, but you’ll probably love this top quality granite mortar and pestle.
- Made from unpolished, heavy granite
- Includes an anti-scratch protector
- Includes an Italian cooking Ebook
- 6 inch diameter
- 2-cup capacity
- Ergonomic design
- 100% money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with it
- Hand wash only
What do People Think About It?
“High in quality and the materials are top-notch. It’s bigger than I though it would be and can easily handle two large avocados for making guacamole. Just about my only complaint is that the pestle is a little too short for the size of the bowl. But overall, super happy with it.”
“Really nice with great balance to it. I’ve used it crush seeds, nuts, coffee beans, medicine and other things too I’m sure. It’s probably my favourite kitchen tool these days and I kind of look for opportunities to use it!”
Does this large capacity granite mortar and pestle sound like the perfect option for you? Check it out for yourself on Amazon, and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#2: Tera Stainless Steel Mortar and Pestle Set
- 1. Solid Rustproof Material: Both mortar and pestle are made of food grade 18/8 stainless steel. Not...
- 2. Durable and Stable: Made of solid metal, the pestle feels substantial in your hand and the mortar...
- 3. Food-safe: Because stainless steel does not hold residue or leftover odor, all it takes is a...
- 4. Messy Not: Translucent lid allows you to gauge your strikes while keeping flying debris from...
- 5. All Your Grinding Needs: This grinding setup will accommodate just about anyone’s grinding...
Do you have a kitchen filled with sleek stainless steel appliances? Then you might want to consider a stainless steel mortar and pestle as well to fit in with everything else. Besides appearances, this thing works very well and has some of the best reviews among all products in the category.
- Made from 18/8 stainless steel
- Rustproof and resists damage from acidic foods
- Padding on the bottom keeps it from slipping around on the counter
- Food safe and easy to clean with just a rinse under the tap
- Translucent lid reduces mess
- 1 cup capacity
“Really nice quality and both pieces have a good weight to them. You can use it to crush just about anything and I love the lid that comes along with it. It’s a nice touch that many of the other ones don’t have.”
“Super durable and works extremely well for crushing up some of our adult food for our baby to eat for meals. You can clean it up in seconds because it’s stainless steel and it’s way less fussy and cheaper than those baby food blenders.”
Get yours Today
Do you want to find out more about this durable stainless steel mortar and pestle? You can head over to Amazon to learn more, and also to check for the lowest prices:
How to Condition a Granite Mortar Pestle
Check out this short video for all the details you need to know about how to look after your new kitchen tool!
#3: Extra-Large Mortar and Pestle Set
- WHY WE'RE DIFFERENT: While other other mortar and pestle sets are small or lightweight, our solidly...
- WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO: Our goal is to create timeless, beautiful, useful kitchen tools. Because of...
- EASY, QUICK, AND PAINLESS: Because we know you'll use lots of garlic in your mortar and pestle, we...
- CUSTOMER CARE PROMISE: GKC strives to create complete customer satisfaction, period. Our customers...
- BONUSES! With your purchase you will receive a downloadable recipe guide with tried and true go-to...
If you’re looking for a large mortar and pestle set, then you’ll certainly want to consider this one. A batch of guacamole for a party? No problem. A big batch of herbs? Sure! The extra-large 2-cup capacity can certainly handle it all. Besides that, there are a ton of other things you’ll like about it.
- Made from unpolished granite
- Extra large capacity
- Comes with a bonus garlic peeler
- Protective pad for countertops
- Solidly built—weighs 5 pounds
- Unique pestle design makes grinding less tiring
- Pestle is also quite tall which helps prevent bruised knuckles!
- Full refund if you’re not happy with your purchase
Where Can I Find It?
Do you want to check out this extra-large mortar and pestle? Then click the button below to find the lowest prices:
#4: Koja Marble Mortar Pestle
- BEAUTIFUL NATURAL MARBLE - Adds a Stylish Touch to any Kitchen. Proudly Display your Natural Stone...
- PREMIUM QUALITY - Ideal for Grinding Herbs, Spices, Nuts and Seeds to release their Full Flavor and...
- IDEAL SIZE - Perfect for Professional Chef | Home Cooking Gourmet. Contemporary, Rustic Design....
- EASY TO CLEAN - Your Non-Porous, Solid Granite, Mortar and Pestle will not Absorb Oils, Spices and...
- UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY! - Highest Quality Marble from Our Modern Stone Quarries, 100%...
If you’re looking for a marble mortar and pestle, then you’ll definitely want to consider this one from Koja. From the first time you have it in your hands, the quality is evident.
Combine that with the cool marbled look and it makes a really nice housewarming, Christmas or birthday gift. Keep on reading to find out more about why we like it so much.
- Ideal for spices, pastes, guacamole, curries and more
- Premium quality
- Super easy clean-up
- Large capacity
- Made from non-porous material which makes it food safe
- Made in Japan
- Lifetime warranty from the company
What do People Think About It?
“Size is perfect and also looks so nice on my countertop. When people come over, they always comment on how nice it looks. Besides that, love the lifetime warranty. It’s one of my favourite kitchen tools and I find an excuse to use it almost every single day.”
“It’s the perfect size for crushing up garlic cloves, or making a quick batch of pesto. Ideal for a pill or two as well. Can’t say enough good stuff about it, and it looks so nice too!”
Do you want to find out more about this top-notch marble mortar and pestle set from Japan? Then you’ll want to check it out over on Amazon, and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#5: Casa Maria Mortar and Pestle (Stone)
- Releases foods natural flavors
- Lasts for years
- Natural stone molcajete develops a beautiful dark patina over time
- Ideal for preparing authentic guacamole, salsa and mole.
- 8 1/2 inch natural stone
If you’re looking for a stone mortar and pestle, this one from Casa Maria should be at the top of your list. It’s not only super functional, but it’s beautifully designed as well. At 8.5 inches in diameter, it’s that perfect medium size—not too big, but not too small to do everything you’ll expect of it.
- Made from durable stone
- 8.5 inch diameter
- Will last a lifetime
- Natural stone gets darker with time
- Very smooth finish
- Nice ergonomic design reduces hand fatigue
What are People Saying about It?
“Works well and is a really nice looking piece to keep out on the counter. The pestle is a nice size and fits easily into my small hand. Super heavy which is ideal for using, but it makes clean-up a wee bit more difficult than the lighter ones.”
“Love this thing! It’s awesome how it gets darker the more you use it. I’d totally recommend this to anyone looking for a very heavy duty mortar and pestle that’s made from stone.”
This stone mortar and pestle is last but not least on our list of the top options to consider. Check right here to find the best prices:
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Mortar and Pestle
When you’re deciding on the best mortar and pestle, there are a number of important things you’ll want to think about. Here are just a few of them.
Some people prefer small mortar and pestles because they take up less space when not in use. They’re also lighter and easier to pick up and clean in the sink.
On the other hand, you may want to opt for a large, or extra-large one that has a 2-cup capacity or even more. If you want to make a large batch of guacamole, this larger one may be right for you. However, they’re often quite heavy which makes them a little bit more difficult to clean.
For mortar and pestles, you have a few different options in terms of materials. Granite and stainless steel are most popular, while you can also find stone and wood ones. We generally prefer granite or stainless steel because they’re durable, lighter and also relatively easy to clean.
In terms of design, all things are not created equally! We prefer the wider ones with shorter pestles, or the taller mortars with longer pestles. This is so that your knuckles don’t get all busted up!
Besides that, it’s mostly a matter of personal preference and what feels good in your hands as you’re using it. Experiment with a few different ones and see which designs work best for you.
When you’re buying anything, it’s prudent to check reviews first. Our best source for this is on Amazon, particularly the 3-4 star ones. They will give you the best indication of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses.
Of course, price is a major consideration when buying kitchen tools. The good news is that mortar and pestles are relatively inexpensive. You can get one for well under $50 and many of the items on this list are in the $20-30 range.
Have your Say about the Best Mortar and Pestle
What are your thoughts about this list of the best mortar and pestle sets? Are you considering one of them from this list, or another option? Leave a comment below and let us know. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other cooking enthusiasts, like yourself fint this useful resource.
Last update on 2019-11-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API