Are you looking to streamline your daily cooking prep? If your answer to this question is yes, then you need a top-notch mandoline slicer.
If you’re excellent with a knife in your hand, a top-quality mandoline will still certainly speed things up. Also, if you’re not so good with a knife in your hand, a great mandoline can help you make perfect slices. Be it dicing or slicing a mandoline can do wonders.
Best Mandoline Slicer: Top 5 Picks
Before we dive into the details for each of these mandolines, here is a list of some of our favorites:
- Mueller Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline
- Swissmar Borner Mandoline
- OXO Mandoline Slicer
- Fullstar Mandoline Slicer
- Adjustable Mandoline Slicer
What is a Kitchen Mandoline Slicer?
A mandoline slicer for a home kitchen is an incline plane with a blade that you can run pieces of food against to produce foods with uniform thickness. Use the guard that comes with mandoline slicers to protect your fingers. Some models allow you to julienne food, or also make crinkle cuts.
Top 5 Mandolines
Are you reading to check out our favorite mandoline slicers? Then let’s dive into all their details. We aim to help you settle for one that is suitable for you.
#1: Mueller Austria, a top choice for an adjustable mandoline slicer
- Don’t Be Fooled By The Other Low Quality Under $25 Models – This is a high quality machine built...
- Nobody Needs Another Flimsy Kitchen Gadget or has the time to slave away with a knife. This is...
- Best Patented Design – We designed the only knob-controlled fully adjustable mandoline slicer...
- Healthy Eating Should Be Easy without breaking the bank. Great tools make it a snap, no matter the...
- Our Customer Care Promise – Mueller believes in making life easier, better and more enjoyable in...
If you need a multi-blade and adjustable mandoline slicer, this one from Mueller Austria should be at the top of your bucket list. It is made from ABS plastic, which is non-toxic and BPA-free, so that you can have healthy meals.
Read on to learn why this product leads the pack of our best mandoline slicer products.
- German engineered surgical stainless steel blades
- Non-toxic BPA plastic
- 5 interchangeable blades
- Patented design
- Hand guard with well-fitted metal prongs for wobble-free use
- Made in Austria
Customer Reviews for the Mueller Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline
“I can vouch that this mandolin slicer is magnificent. The model is easy to adjust and versatile thanks to its five ultra-sharp blades. This product was the greatest addition to my kitchen as it is good for French fries and shoestring potatoes.”
“I`ve been using this mandolin for a while, and I can confirm that it is durable. The body is made of ABS plastic that won’t crack or shatter easily and can withstand quite a few stocks, as well.”
“This slicer is the real deal. It is perfect not only for slicing but also for julienning and garnishing. I was debating between this and a vegetable cutting machine but the fact of how easy this thing is to use caused me to choose this one.”
The Takeaway on Mueller Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline
This adjustable mandoline is the smartest option. While other mandoline slicers struggle with design and quality issues, its quality and patented design solve these problems making it the standard vegetable slicer.
It has some excellent reviews and overall, most people that buy this product are very happy with it. Combine that will the excellent customer service from Mueller and it’s certainly a product that you’ll want to seriously consider. It really is that good!
Does it sound like the right mandoline for your food preparation? You can easily check it out for yourself over on Amazon by clicking the button below. And, don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
Compare the Best Mandoline Slicers
Do you want to see the head-to-head comparison of the some of the best mandoline slicers you can buy? Then you’ll certainly want to check out this chart that we’ve put together so that you can make the best pick for your home kitchen:
#2: Swissmar Borner Mandoline
- Set includes tough ABS plastic frame, food safety holder, 3 blade inserts, and storage caddy with...
- Includes 7mm blade, 3.5mm blade, and thick/thin reversible slicing blade; slice different...
- Made in Germany, surgical-grade stainless-steel blades are incredibly sharp and snap in and out of...
- Ambidextrous Food Safety holder provides complete protection; prongs hold food while guard protects...
- Protective storage caddy safely holds all components while not in use; easy to clean; rinse under...
If you’re a cooking enthusiast looking for a simple way to step up your game both taste and look-wise, then you’ll need to consider this 5-piece set mandolin slicer. As if durability and performance weren’t enough, this mandoline also comes with various accessories that enable you to adjust its functionality and store it easily.
- Two blades: 7mm and 3.5mm
- Ergonomic hand guard for hand protection
- Made in the USA
- Sharp surgical-grade stainless-steel
- Prongs to hold food steady
- Foldable legs for angle adjustment
- BPA-free plastic
What do People Think about It?
“This is the best mandolin I’ve come across. I was able to slice all vegetables with this gadget despite being a virgin user.”
“Nice, compact slicer that is very good for any kitchen. It is small, takes up very little space, and what particularly stood out for me was the fact that I could fold and stow it away with so much ease.”
“This gadget proved to be more than I expected. I loved the durability of the blades and the plastic frame. They don’t show any signs of getting dull even after months of usage.”
Summary of the Swissmar Borner Slicer
With the additional accessories included in the package, this slicer is an excellent choice for all homes. It has earned our stamp of approval as one of the best in its class.
Where Can I Buy It?
You can easily find this top-quality mandolin on Amazon. Click the button below to find out more about this popular kitchen gadget:
#3: OXO Chef`s Slicer
- Indicator window clearly displays Thickness setting from above in inches and millimeters
- Spring-loaded food holder features a wide rim to protect fingers and stores on underside of mandolin
- Soft, non-slip handle provides a comfortable grip
- Textured runway prevents food from sticking and parallel surfaces create even slices without wedging
- Japanese stainless steel blade is angled to slice even soft foods with ease
If you want to make some delicious French fries without any hassle, then you shouldn’t miss the OXO Good Grips Chef`s Slicer in your kitchen. It has numerous features that you`ll love and comes with both straight and wavy blades as well as a food holder.
- Hardened stainless steel blades
- Large safety guard protects fingers and holds food securely
- 8 X 20 x 15 inches
- Easily-removable blades for cleaning
- Non-slip feet for added safety
- Soft, easy-rotate dial for selecting slice thickness
- The unused part of the blade is hidden for safety
What do People Think about It?
“You can never go wrong with this device from Oxo Good Grips. I use it very often. It is easy to use, simple, and quick to set up, plus the quality is top-notch.”
“This gadget meets and exceeds my expectations. I wanted a flexible and efficient mandoline that makes slicing with ease and precision possible, and it gave me all that.”
The Takeaway on OXO Chef`s Slicer
This is the best choice for thicker and firmer vegetables or fruits. Also, have you noticed? It lets you create cuts in up to 21 unique ways.
Get Yours Today
Do you want to try out one of our picks for the best mandoline slicer on the market? You can easily find it on Amazon right here:
#4: Fullstar Vegetable Chopper
- Blades are razor sharp to ensure easy slicing , however this means you must use the safety glove at...
- 7-in-1 Mandoline slicer and chopper offers the functionality of multiple kitchen tools with 7...
- 1.2-quart catch tray makes meal prep mess-free and easy. Molded finger guard and rubberized non-skid...
- This compact slicer and dicer measures just 10.83"L x 4.65"W x 4.65"H and weighs 2.68 lbs. It can be...
- Read the manual carefully - Please read the instruction manual provided with the Fullstar food...
If you are looking for a vegetable slicer that has a durable design and a few options of blades yet allowing you to slice and dice your vegetables, then look no further than this vegetable chopper from Fullstar.
It comes with four kinds of chopping blades and two kinds of dicing blades, thus offering you flexibility on how you can cut your vegetables.
- Made in the USA
- The plastic is free of chemicals, like BPA
- Unique blades that allow chopping into spirals or ribbons
- Grade 420 stainless steel blades
- 11.6 x 5.5 x 4.6 inches
- 7 interchangeable blades
- Finger guard for safety
“This gadget is amazing. I’m in love with it. It comes with many accessories, but it is really simple to use and clean. I find myself using it basically all the time and actually wonder how I ever lived without it”
“If you’re searching for a good chopper, look no further. I got this product for the chopper to avoid crying over onions and the tedious vegetable chopping task. Now I don’t do that and I can spend my time doing stuff I actually like instead of slaving away in the kitchen!”
“I’m ALL about coleslaw, but it definitely requires the perfect kitchen mandoline to get the right thickness of cabbage. Not too thick and not too thin. This thing is a star and is basically all kinds of awesome. Highly recommended.”
Summary for Fullstar Vegetable Chopper
Fullstar has offered its customers numerous expert choppers. This series is a 7-in- chopper that includes 7 interchangeable blades and, more importantly, a non-skid base for stability.
Do you want to learn more about this top-quality mandolin slicer? Then click the button to learn more about it over on Amazon:
#5: Prep Naturals Adjustable Slicer
- Bonus handheld spiralizer - compact and easy to use, the Prep Naturals mandoline slicer comes with a...
- Functional and practical - slice, grate and julienne and adjust to your desired thickness with just...
- Keeping you and your family safe - we know our stainless steel blades are high quality and razor...
- No mess and no slips - our catch tray makes cooking so much more convenient, no mess and no messing...
- Read the manual carefully - Please read the instruction manual provided with the Prep Naturals...
If you`re looking for a mandoline suitable for large meals prep, then opt for the Prep Naturals Adjustable Slicer. It has a tray that can hold up to 1.5 liters of food so you can say goodbye to that dirty and messy countertop. Keep on reading to learn more about its details.
- 1.5 liters food container
- Thumb-dial to adjust the thickness, 1mm, 3mm, 5mm
- 3 interchangeable blades
- Non-skid base
“This slicer is super complete. I love its sharp blades, which are easy to change as well as its sturdy-non-slip container and aggressive food holder.”
“I love that this gadget has multiple functions like slicing and grating with a julienne cut or ribbon cut. Clean-up is easy as all accessories are dishwasher-safe. But, if you’re serious about cutting deli meat, then you’ll probably just want to level up and get yourself a meat slicer.”
“I have to make a ton of sandwiches for my job and I got so tired of slicing tomatoes with knives that weren’t that sharp. After I picked up this kitchemmandolin, I couldn’t be happier with it. I can slice 20 tomatoes in just a couple of minutes. Be sure to use the guard though to protect your fingers! These things can be a little bit dangerous if you’re not careful.”
Should you Consider Buying Prep Naturals Adjustable Slicer?
Things get dirty and messy when you slice, but this slicer can help you avoid all that with its 1.5 liters tray. Its spiralizer will also ensure you achieve that restaurant-like looking salad bowl in minutes.
If you have a ton of food to prep on the regular and not a whole lot of time to do it, then consider this adjustable mandolin that will save you so much time. It’s easy to use, works well and is also very affordably priced. This certainly make it a top pick here at Kitchen Gadget Reviews.
Where Can I Find It?
You can find out more about this kitchen mandoline on Amazon. Click the button to learn more and don’t forget to see if this product is eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
Top 7 Factors to Consider When Buying a Mandoline Slicer
While a mandoline slicer can speed up the process of food preparation, there`re some factors you need to consider to get the best mandoline slicer products that meet your needs.
#1: Sturdy Construction
A good mandoline slicer should be durable enough to withstand the intensity of sliding vegetables down the slicing plane without flexing or wobbling.
#2: Easy Cleanup
We advise you to look for a slicer with a body that doesn’t trap food in its crevices and one that washes easily. Check out for dishwasher-safe mode to ensure fast cleanup.
#3: Assortment of Blades
While some people just require the basic mandoline for making julienne cuts and slicing, some mandolin slicers are versatile and feature interchangeable blades that you can use to shred, dice, and make waffle cuts.
#4: Several Height Settings
Another crucial factor to consider in a good mandoline slicer is how many height settings it offers. The more height settings, the more versatile the slicer is. This enables you to cut thick tomato slices or deli-thin slices of cucumber (check this out: How to Store Cucumbers).
#5: Razor-Sharp Slicing
Whether its stainless steel or ceramic, the blade should easily and cleanly slice vegetables or fruits without having to push hard against the slicer. A good mandoline slicer should deliver precise cuts.
#6: Customer Reviews
When you buy any kitchen product, we recommend taking a look at the customer reviews online. They’ll usually give you the best indication of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses and are often more useful than a product’s description from the company.
Of course price is a consideration for anything that you might want to buy. Mandolines ranges in price from about $20 to $80 USD. We recommend sticking with the ones that are in the $30-50 price range. You’ll get good value for your money and also have a top-quality product with a very sharp blade and that’ll last for years.
Mandoline Slicer FAQ’s
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about using a kitchen mandoline.
Do I need a Mandoline Slicer?
You can use a mandoline slicer for various things and once you use one, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it! Here are some of the things you might need it for:
- Pickling and canning (bread + butter pickles for example)
- Cabbage for coleslaw
- Slicing tomatoes for sandwiches
- Salami or other similar deli meats
- Lemon, lime or orange slices
- Onions for onion rings
- Cheese slices
- Veggie chips
If you’re into preserving food, then you’ll also want to check this product out: Pressure Canner.
Can You Use a Mandoline Slicer for Meat?
Mandoline slicers are ideal for harder cuts of meat like salami or pepperoni since you’re doing a push cut over the blade. However, softer items like a ham loaf or turkey breast will be more difficult to cut with a mandoline unless they’re partly frozen
How Thick Does a Mandoline Slicer Slice?
A mandoline slicer can cut veggies and fruits into various thicknesses, ranging from around 1 mm, to 2.5 mm and then up to 5 mm or so, depending on the brand. All mandolines have adjustable thickness settings and usually have 3-5 options to choose from.
How to Use a Mandoline
When you’re using a mandoline, please remember that it’s always about safety first! Use the guard that comes with your product in order to not slice your fingers off. Beyond that, here are a few tips and tricks for using a kitchen mandoline.
Are Mandolins Dangerous?
In reality, mandolines are no more or less dangerous than say a chef’s knife. Both have very sharp blades and require care and concentration when using them. However, mandoline slicers come with attachments and safety guards which should certainly be used as they can help to prevent serious injury.
How do you Clean a Mandoline Slicer?
To clean a mandoline slicer, the most important thing is to wipe the blades clean against the direction of the sharp edge in order to avoid injury. Then, clean with soap and water and rinse thoroughly to remove soap residue. Towel dry or let is air dry well before storing. Some mandolines come apart to make this process easier.
Who Invented the Mandolin Slicer?
The mandoline slicer was invented by Marcel Forelle from Toulouse France in the 1930’s. He gave this kitchen gadget the name of a musical instrument because cooks play with their tools the same way that musicians do their instruments.
Have Your Say about the Best Mandoline Slicers
What’s your top pick for a kitchen mandolin? Is it one of the options from this list, or do you have your eye on another brand? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other home cooking enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API