Do you like to visit the local cheese shop or deli counter on the regular and pick up some delicious offerings for your family and friends? If your answer to this question is yes, then you’ll certainly need a top quality cheese cutting board to present your selections beautifully.
Nice cheese boards can mean the difference between a so-so appetizer and one that wows the crowd! Keep on reading to find out our picks for the best wood, stone, granite, marble and slate cutting boards. You’re sure to find one that works for your budget and taste.
First of all, here’s a sneak peak at some of favourites:
- John Boos Maple Cheese Cutting Board
- Handmade Granite Cheese Board
- Acacia Cheese Board Set
- Kota Marble Cheese Board
- Mini Slate Cheese Boards
- Epicurean Slate Cutting Board
- Zelancio Acacia and Marble Cutting Board
Top 7 Cheese Cutting Boards
Are you reading to see some of our top picks for a cheese cutting board? Then let’s get into all the details about our top picks. Our goal is to help you choose the one that’s right for you.
#1: John Boos, a Top Choice for a Wood Cheese Board
- John Boos Block R01 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board measures 18 inches long, 12...
- Made in the USA: Each John Boos Butcher Block and Cutting Board is proudly made in Effingham,...
- Cutting Board is made from sustainably sourced, hand-selected Northern Hard Rock Maple Wood- widely...
- This board is reversible, both sides are flat and can be used as cutting surfaces. Integrated...
- The "R" series cutting boards by John Boos are hearty boards that are "just right" at 1.5 inches...
If you’re looking for a wood cheese board, this one from John Boos should be a the top of your list! It’s made from the highest quality maple in the USA, which is an ideal wood for cheese platters because it doesn’t absorb odour or flavour as easily as some of the softer woods.
Read more to find out why this is our top pick for a cheese cutting board.
- Made from high-quality maple (non-porous wood)
- Edge grain
- 18 x 12 x 1.5 inches (comes in 2 more bigger sizes as well)
- Cherry and walnut are also available in a variety of stains
- Made in the USA
- Integrated hand grips
- Hand wash and dry and then use John Boos Oil for best results (recommendations here for the best dish rack)
- 1 year warranty
Customer Reviews for the John Boos Wooden Cheese Platter
“This board is magnificent and I don’t use that word lightly! It’s my favourite kitchen tool and I find myself using it every single day. Just be sure to care for it well and apply oil almost every single day at first until it’s well-seasoned. Then, you’ll have decades of use with this thing.”
“I love to make charcuterie boards and was looking for a solid wood board that was up to the challenge. This thing is a show-stopper and it’s big enough that I can fit meats, cheese, crackers, savouries, etc. on it with no problem. It’s heavy and ideal for staying in place in the centre of the table.”
“I’ve been using this thing at work for years now and finally bought one for at home. It’s perfect for cutting on, but you can also use it as a wood cheese board. It’s doesn’t absorb moisture or odours as long as you keep it well oiled.”
Does this maple cheese board from John Boos sound like the right option for your next party? You can easily learn more about this product by clicking the button below. And, don’t forget to check and see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
Compare the Best Cheese Cutting Boards
Do you want to see the head-to-head comparison for some of the top-rated cheese cutting boards to help you decide which one is right for you? Then you’ll certainly want to check out some of the options in this handy chart below:
#2: Granite Cheese Board
If you’re looking for a product that makes a difference for our environment, then you’ll want to consider this granite cheese server. The company diverts granite countertops from landfills and makes them into serving boards. Cool idea, right?
Besides that awesome fact, there are a ton of things you’re going to love about this board that makes an ideal cheese and meat platter. Keep on reading to find out more!
- Rough edges
- Made from reclaimed granite
- Comes in four sizes (small to extra-large)
- Made in the USA
- FDA approved
- Exchange or refund within 30 days
- Comes with a bamboo spreader
User Reviews for this Granite Cheese Server
“Nice, compact platter that is very sturdy and quite heavy. It’s perfect for sushi, cheese, or just about anything that you want to serve in a beautiful way.”
“As high of quality as it appears in the picture. Make an excellent housewarming or wedding gift! Super happy with this granite board and I liked it so much that I bought one small and one large one that I can use depending on the circumstances.”
“The color in the picture didn’t match what I got. But, not a big deal and the company is pretty up front about this so just beware that that’s what might happen to you. Oh, and I found this super helpful for knowing what to do with extras: How to Store Cheese.”
Get yours Today
Does this granite serving slab sound like the right choice for your home? You can easily find it on Amazon, so click the button below to find the best prices:
#3: Acacia Cheese Board Set
- DON’T BE REGULAR, CHOOSE QUALITY - While other Cheese Boards might crack or even fall apart when...
- PREMIUM MATERIALS & FINISHES - Shanik Charcuterie Boards are all made of high-quality and durable...
- BE CREATIVE! - Mix and match cheeses, nuts, meats, fruits, and whatever else you like to create...
- THE ULTIMATE HOLIDAY GIFT - This beautiful cheese board will create “the cherry on top” feeling...
- LUXURIOUS PACKAGING DESIGN - To keep your set looking gorgeous, we included a complimentary velvet...
If you’re looking for a beautifully made wooden cheese platter, then this Acacia one might certainly be at the top of your list! It has a ton of details that you’ll love and comes with ceramic plates, a slate platter in the middle and serving utensils. It’s truly an all-in-one solution for someone looking for a cheese board platter.
- Charcuterie set/cheese platter
- Square in shape but also comes in a variety of shapes and sizes
- Made from acacia wood that is a non-porous material so it wont absorb flavours or odours
- Easy to clean
- 2 slide-out drawers
- Includes 3 ceramic plates
- Stainless steel cheese knives with ceramic handles are included
- Makes an ideal gift
- Full refund within 30 days
What do People Think About It?
“Stunning wood cheese board that looks awesome with a variety of foods on it. Super happy with it and receive a ton of compliments on it every single time I pull it out and use it.”
“Beautiful, well-made cheese platter with real slate in the middle. Love the slide out drawers for the cutlery too…nice, thoughtful design.”
“Well-made and has a ton of room for cheese, meat, crackers, olive, pickles and whatever else I can find in my kitchen!”
Where Can I Buy this Wood Cheese Board Set?
If you want to find out more about this beautiful acacia cheese board, then you’ll need to head over to Amazon. Click the button below to see the best prices and don’t forget to check if this product is eligible for free shipping:
#4: Kota Marble Cheese Board
- ✔️ BEAUTIFUL HIGHEST QUALITY MARBLE - Contrasting Veins of Color add a Stylish Touch to any...
- ✔️ KEEPS DOUGH COOL - Pastry Chefs Value Marble for its natural ability to Stay Cooler for...
- ✔️ IDEAL SIZE - Ample room for rolling and while conserving Precious Counter Space. Doubles as...
- ✔️ UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY!! | HIGHEST QUALITY MARBLE BLOCK, 100% TESTED Visit KotaJapan...
- This pastry slab is also ideal for serving cheese, meat or sushi
- 12 x 16 inches
- Easy to clean
- Stays cool for a long time (Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes for the best results with this)
- Rubber feet keep it in place and protect your countertop
- Comes in a variety of sizes and colors
- Lifetime warranty
“This is not a cutting board! It’s a pastry board, but I use mine as a nice serving platter for charcuterie. It’s perfect for that because it keeps the food cool for quite a while, unlike wood or glass boards. But, it’s best for soft cheeses, or cheese that it already sliced because you don’t want people cutting on this thing!”
“Super solid with nice rubber feet on it. I have a feeling it’ll probably last me a lifetime.”
“Beautiful marble board that’ll last forever I think. It was well packaged and it looks just as nice in person as it does in the pictures.”
Shop Now for this Marble Cheese Cutting Board
Do you want a top-quality marble cheese board for your next party? This one from Kota Japan makes an excellent choice. You can find out more about it on Amazon:
#5: Mini Slate Cheese Boards
- CHARCUTERIE BOARD: Rectangle cheese board has additional spaces for crackers, nuts or bread; easily...
- FOR ANY OCCASION: The practical and decorative design gives this cheese board a timeless and elegant...
- CHEESE BOARD: Made from high quality slate material, this small charcuterie board will effortlessly...
- DIMENSIONS: Each cheese cutting board measures 6 x 0.1 x 8.75 inches
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Includes 6 cheese and meat boards and 3 pieces of chalk
Have you ever seen those slate boards in restaurants that you can write on with chalk? Have you ever wanted to try them out for yourself at home? It can be a super fun way to host a wine (need a wine opener?) and cheese party or something like a sushi night (check this out: Make your own sushi kits). Now, you can buy them at home for a very reasonable price, so keep on reading to find out all the details you need to know!
Features of this Chalkboard Cheese Board
- 6 piece set with slate boards
- Slate is non-porous and doesn’t absorb flavours or odours
- Comes with 3 pieces of chalk
- Ideal for home, restaurant or cafe use
- 6 x 8.75 inches
- Smooth surface
- Natural edges
- Light in weight
- Clean with a damp cloth
“Arrived in excellent condition and is really a beautiful set. I love the price too—cheaper than many of the other cheese board options I saw, plus it’s so fun to be able to write what kind of cheese it is on it. Kind of like a chalkboard.”
“Makes an awesome cheese display! They are 100% slate and look as nice at home as they do in the picture.”
“I end up using these things all the time and I definitely find it easier to deal with six small serving platters instead of one massive, heavy one. Clean-up is easy too because slate doesn’t absorb oils like wood does.”
Where Can I Find these Slate Cheese Boards?
Does this chalkboard style cheese board complete with chalk seem like a fun option for your next party? You can head on over to Amazon to find out more about it right here, and also to check for the best prices:
#6: Epicurean Slate Cutting Board
- 14. 5-Inch x 11. 25-Inch composite cutting board, slate color, removable silicone corners;...
- Modified natural material is lightweight, durable, nonporous, knife friendly and dishwasher safe,...
- Silicone corners grip countertop surface, prevent board from shifting during use
- Made in USA from trees harvested under the guidelines of the North America sustainable Forestry...
- Temperature resistant to 350 Degree F/175 Degree C; protects countertop; built-in hole makes it easy...
Slate cutting boards are ideal for cheese platters because they’re non-porous and don’t absorb flavours or smells. Plus, they help the cheese and meat retain some coolness a bit better than something like a plastic board. Besides that, they’re beautiful and elegant!
- 14 x 11 inches
- Removable silicone corners
- Dual sided cutting surface
- Lightweight and durable
- Dishwasher safe
- Made in the USA
- Temperature resistant to 350 degrees F
“This thing is awesome as an all-round cutting board plus it just looks so cool being all black. I love to make a nice cheese board for myself and my wife while we watch a game or whatever and this board is the perfect tool for that.”
“I love the on-off bumpers for this thing. When I use it as a cutting board, I leave them on. But, if I’m making a cheese platter, I’ll take them off for serving because it looks better. Super versatile and I love that you can just throw this thing into the dishwasher.”
Shop Now for this Slate Cutting Board
Do you want to pick up this beautiful slate cutting board for your next cheese display? It’s certainly one of the top options if you’re going for elegant and stylish. You can easily find it on Amazon so check now for the lowest prices:
#7: Zelancio Marble and Acacia Wood Cheese Board
- HANDCRAFTED - Marble and Acacia wood cheese board is the perfect hors d'oeuvres serving tray for...
- UNIQUE - Made from beautifully polished white marble and sustainably sourced Acacia wood, no two...
- COMPLETE SET - This set features 4 premium stainless steel cheese knives and serving tools, and an...
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION - This cheese paddle cutting board is handcrafted using premium materials with...
- MAKES A PERFECT GIFT - Let the entertainer in your life serve up a variety of fine cheeses in style,...
If you’re looking for something elegant to use as a cheese platter, this acacia and marble one is a beautiful option. The wood accent looks great and the marble is ideal for keeping cheese and deli meats cooler for a longer period of time. Combine that with the great customer reviews and surprisingly reasonable price and this is certainly a cheese cutting board that you’ll want to consider.
- 6 piece set includes serving tools
- Ideal for dinner parties
- Made from polished white marble and acacia wood
- Makes an ideal gift
“The perfect size for meat, cheese and olives, along with a few crackers. We like to do this at least once a month while we watch a movie. It’s nice enough to use for a dinner party too, or to give as something like a wedding gift.”
“Quick tip: remove the stone and throw it into the freezer for just until you want to use it. This makes it super easy for your cheese to not wilt, even on a relatively hot day.”
Get yours Today
Do you want to pick up this marble cheese board for your next party? It’s easy to find on Amazon so just click the button below and don’t forget to check and see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
Wood vs. Stone vs. Marble vs. Slate Cheese Boards
There are a ton of of options for cheese boards available today. It can be hard enough narrowing down the choice of material, not to mention all the various brands you can get too. Let’s take a look at the most common materials to find the one that’s perfect for you!
#1: Wood Boards
A wood cheese board is the most common choice because it’s reliable, easy to clean and also very affordable. They come in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and some of them even have multiple slide-out layers for a beautiful presentation of your cheese or charcuterie platter.
The main difference is the character, finish of the wood and the wood itself. You’ll want to choose one that won’t absorb flavors easily. It’s prudent to avoid oak and most other softwoods like fir, cedar, pine, walnut or mahogany. The best wooden cheese platters are made from non-porous materials. For example, olive wood, birch, cherry, maple or teak.
Besides aesthetics, it’s also very easy to cut cheese on a wooden board. You can cut a round cheese into wedges with no problems and harder cheeses are no obstacle with this material.
#2: Stone or Marble Cheese Boards
Besides wood, there are lots of stone cheese boards or ones made from marble. They both make excellent choices. In particular, you can usually find stone boards that are made from marble or granite.
Marble boards are handy because they are both beautiful and feel cool to the touch and will provide the best temperature zone for your cheese seletion. However, they are porous and do require some attention to cleaning.
The one thing to keep in mind is that a stone cheese board does not mix with knives. You’ll dull them super quickly by doing so.
#3: Slate Cheese Board
The next option we’ll talk about is a slate cheese plate. This one is relatively new to the scene, but is becoming more and more popular because of the many benefits it can offer. First of all, it’s non-porous and doesn’t absorb flavours or smells. This is a serious advantage when compared to the other two options on this list (wood and stone).
Combine that with the reasonable price and ease of cleaning and you certainly have a winner!
You’ll want to opt for food safe kitchen slate that is mostly black slate. That’s because it’s non-porous and also resistant to chipping and flaking. Just about the only small negative is that it can scratch of scuff quite easily so be careful!
#4: Glass Cheese Boards
The final option we’ll talk about are glass cheese boards. They are one of the ideal choices because they’re non-porous, dishwasher-safe, and require no maintenance at all.
However, there are a couple of negatives. Firstly, glass doesn’t have any thermal mass so won’t have a cooling effect on a hot day. Secondly, it be very loud if someone cuts down on it with a cheese knife. Like loud enough to cause cringing in the room! For that reason, we recommend soft cheese only with a glass cheese board.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Cheese Board
There are a number of things you’ll want to think about when choosing the right cheese cutting board set for that next party or dinner that you’re hosting.
As you can see from above, the material that you choose for your cutting board is very important! Slate, wood, glass, or stone: it really does make a difference and they all certainly have their advantages and disadvantages.
If you want your cheese to stay cool for a few hours during a party for example, you’ll want to pick something that has a high thermal mass. For example, marble will keep your cheese cool for far longer than glass or wood will. You can even put your marble slate into the freezer for a few minutes before plating to increase this thermal cooling effect.
This is certainly a matter of personal preference. The smaller ones are cheaper and easier to clean, while the large ones can be quite expensive and unwieldy to clean and handle. We recommend getting a smaller one and then using a second small one if necessary for the occasion.
Some of these cheese boards come with all sorts of accessories, namely cheese knives, while others are more like a cutting board or butcher block and come with the board alone. What you prefer is really up to you, but if you don’t have any of the special knives, it can be a nice solution to buy a cheese serving board that includes them.
Of course price is a major factor in anything that you’ll want to buy. If you take a look online, you’ll find that cheese boards range in price from about $20-100 USD or even more for marble or slate ones.
It’s always a good idea to check customer reviews before dropping some cash on an item! We recommend checking them out on Amazon and paying close attention to the 3-4 star reviews. They’ll usually give you the best indication of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses.
Have your Say about the Best Cheese Cutting Board
What are your thoughts about these cheese cutting boards? Are you considering one of these options, or another brand or material? Leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other cheese platter enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API