Are you looking for the best sous vide machine or immersion circulator? Then you’re most certainly in the right place. We’re going to give you the rundown on our top five picks, along with tips and tricks for choosing the best one for commercial, professional, or home use.
Before we get into all the details you need to know, here’s a sneak peak at some of our top picks:
What is a Sous Vide Machine?
A sous vide machine, also known as an immersion circulator is a way to cook foods (mainly meats) in a water bath for a longer time at a low temperature. You place seasoned, raw foods in a vacuum sealer bag and then close it up to prevent water from getting into it, and also to prevent the water from leaking out.
Many professional chefs swear by this method of cooking and you can actually find more commercial sous vide machines than you can find ones for home use.
Top 5 Best Sous Vide Machines
#1: Gramercy Sous Vide Machine
- OUR DEVICE IS SIMPLE: While other sous vide cookers require unstable Wifi or bluetooth connections...
- WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO: We love to cook. We use our products daily and we only use the best. We...
- CUSTOMER CARE PROMISE: Gramercy Kitchen Co. strives to create complete customer satisfaction,...
- HANDS FREE COOKING: Our sous vide stick shortens your active meal prep time. It takes 10 minutes to...
- BONUSES! With your purchase you will get a velvet storage sleeve and a downloadable time and...
If you’re looking for a high quality, but totally affordable sous vide machine, then you’ll definitely want to consider this one from Gramercy Kitchen. Coming in at a powerful 800 watts, it’s quiet enough that it won’t disturb you too much in the kitchen while it’s operating. Besides that, there are a ton of things you’ll love about it. Here are just a few of them.
- Features a delay start timer
- Easy to use, right out of the box
- Includes an e-book filled with recipes
- Very simple to use and doesn’t require the Internet
- Almost silent operation
- Quick and powerful heating
- No questions asked money-back guarantee or replacement
- Very easy to clean
- 800 watts of power
- LED touch screen
- Adjustable clamp is compatible with any pot you might have
- Comes with a storage sleeve
- Cover protects the unit from steam damage
“I’m ALL about the Gramercy Sous Vide. This thing is amazing and the delay start timer alone is enough reason to give this one a try over the other options. I use it for big dinner parties so that I can do my preparation a couple of hours before and then have it all ready to start cooking at the exact right time. Doesn’t seem like a big deal, but it makes a big difference in my life!”
“Really nice price for a super durable unit that works well, along with excellent customer service. These things aren’t cheap so I wanted to make sure I was getting a decent one that would last. Gramercy Kitchen came through for me and I’d totally recommend their sous vide machine to just about anyone.”
“Kinda obsessed with my Gramercy Sous Vide. It’s awesome and I keep trying new stuff, wondering how it’ll turn out. Results? Amazing. All the things are so delicious and I can’t get enough of this style of cooking.”
Shop Now for the Gramercy Kitchen Sous Vide
Does it sound like the right option for you? Check it out for yourself on Amazon, and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#2: Chefman Sous Vide Review
- PROFESSIONAL COOKING The Chefman Immersion Cooker makes it easy to create restaurant-quality dishes...
- PERFECTLY DELICIOUS RESULTS You can now enjoy an easy cooking technique that cooks your food to...
- VERSATILE & EASY TO USE This immersion circulator features a 360 directional pump and touch screen...
- RECIPE APP INCLUDED For added convenience download the Chefman Sous Vide App (available for Apple &...
- RESOURCES cETL approved with advanced safety technology for long lasting durability & 1-year...
Next up on our list is the Chefman Sous Vide Precision Cooker. It’s a top-quality machine designed for home use that comes in at a very affordable price. Besides that, there are a number of reasons why you might consider this one from Chefman over the competition. Here are just a few of the reasons.
- Precise temperature setting
- Programmable touch display
- PTC heating technology
- 360 directional pump
- Smart sensors monitor water levels
- Flexible clamp fits most pots
- Includes a recipe app
- 1 year warranty
“Super basic, but easy to use and reliable. Used it at least 20 times now and have always been super impressed with the results for a large variety of foods. Can’t say enough good things about it!”
“Did a bunch of research before buying this one from Chefman. I didn’t want to drop a few hundred bucks so wanted to find a cheaper option. This one certainly fits the bell and does a great basic job. You can attach it easily to any pot that you have so you’re not paying for a big device that takes up a ton of space in your kitchen.”
“Makes the ultimate steaks! You can buy really cheap, tough cuts and they turn out really amazing by cooking them this way. Try it out, but be sure to sear them when you’re done for just a minute or two in a really hot pan (I recommend cast iron) to get a nice char on them.
Get Your Chefman Sous Vide Today
Does it sound like the right one for you? Click the button to find out more about it, and also to check for the best prices:
#3: Kitchen Gizmo Sous Vide Review
- EASY TO USE: Remarkably intuitive with predictable results. This is the easiest and most delicious...
- CREATE RESTAURANT QUALITY DISHES: Once only an option for high-end eateries you can now create...
- RELIABLE AND QUIET OPERATION: Fits almost any pot with our strong-grip clip. Cooks precisely and...
- HIGH-END FEEL - LOW-END MAINTENANCE: Removable sleeve allows for easy cleaning. Choose the correct...
- FREE BONUS: We included a cookbook with tried and true Sous Vide recipes for every dish that will...
Next up on our list is another very affordable option for sous vide machine from Kitchen Gizmo. Apart from the 800 watts of power and easy to use touchscreen, there are a number of reason why we like it so much. Keep on reading to see!
- 800 watts of heating power
- Touchscreen control
- Extra safety features
- Bonus recipe book
- Fits any pot
- Temperature goes up to 194 F, within a margin of +/- 1 degree
- You can easily switch between F and C
- Ergonomic, easy grip handle
- Auto Shut-Off if water not at the minimum level
- Removable sleeve makes it very easy to clean
What do People Think About It?
“Easy to set up, works well and is easy to clean up after. For the price, you can’t really beat it. However, it does take quite a while to cook anything so be sure to plan well in advance.”
“This thing is a workhorse in my kitchen. I once challenged it to cook for 72 hours straight and it came through like a champ. It’s far better than some other sous vide machines that I paid 2-3x the price for and it maintains an accurate temperature.”
“Nice job with this machine. The clip is really big but it does hold the unit easily onto any pot that you might have. It can cook small things in minutes, or longer things like brisket too. I personally use this to cook the meat and then I throw it onto my food smoker for the finishing touches. Amazing.”
Where Can I Get it?
Do you want to find out more about the Kitchen Gizmo simplified immersion circulator? Then you’ll need to head over to Amazon, where you can also find the lowest prices:
#4: Hamilton Beach Professional Sous Vide Machine
- Dual functionality, twice the versatility
- Sous vide uses precise temperature control to cook food evenly and perfectly throughout
- Slow cooking gently cooks food over a long period of time, retaining its flavor and moisture
- 6 quart nonstick metal vessel
- Programmable controls
Hamilton Beach is one of the most trusted names in small kitchen appliances and this machine is no exception. There are certainly lots of things to like about it, and it’s the first one on this list that’s not a wand, but a unit in itself.
- 6 quart capacity
- Stainless steel construction
- Easy to use programmable controls
- Dual function (slow cooker as well)
- Automatically goes to stay warm function when cooking is done
- Can cook between 1 and 72 hours
- Glass lid to keep an eye on the progress
- Large handles makes it easy to move
- LED indicator lights
- 5 year warranty
What are People Saying About It?
“This thing is amazing and it’s changed the way I now cook foods. Seriously. Can’t believe I didn’t buy one of these earlier in my life!”
“Love that it’s not only a sous vide cooker but that it’s also a slow cooker too. I have a small kitchen so appreciate anything that can be used for a few different things.”
“Nice product at a fair price. The temperature and timer don’t work super well though. It’s no problem if you use your own thermometer and cell phone timer so still happy with this product especially considering the price.”
Does it sound like the right option for you? Head on over to Amazon.com to see all the details you need to know, and don’t forget to check if this product is eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
#5: SanSaire Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
- Cook a better steak than expensive steakhouses, for a fraction of the cost
- The Sansaire takes up as much space as a Champagne bottle and uses pots or containers you already...
- The same lifestyle benefits of slow cooker cooking, but without dried out, overcooked proteins
- The Sansaire is used in some of the world's best restaurants. Professional chefs rely on sous vide...
- Heat milk or formula to precisely 98. 6 Degree for worry free feeding
This is a top-quality product at a very reasonable price and is the one used in many restaurant and commercial kitchens around the world. In terms of price, it’s more expensive than many other options out there, but the quality and durability speaks for itself, not to mention the excellent reviews.
- Small size for easy storage
- Ideal for a range of functions, including heating baby formula
- Clips onto the side of any pot
- Easy to set cooking temperature
- LED screen is easy to read
- Precise temperature monitoring
- Powerful 1000 watt motor
- 6 gallon capacity
- Can work with either vacuum sealed bags, or heavy-duty Ziplock style bags
- Active pump circulates the water
Online Reviews for the San Saire Sous Vide Cooker
“After much research I decided on this brand and I’m super happy that I did! It’s a top-quality machine at a reasonable price and does exactly what I want it to do: maintain a constant cooking temperature for a period of time.”
“Decent, but not exactly durable. It failed after about 20 uses and it was difficult to even contact customer service to get them to resolve the issue.”
Buy Yours Today
Do you want to find out more about one of the best commercial sous vide cooker? Then you’ll want to check out the SanSaire over on Amazon now:
What’s the Best Professional Sous Vide Machine? The ChefSteps Joule
- Smallest, sleekest sous vide tool available at just 11 inches tall and 1.3 pounds, with streamlined...
- Saves space: Half the size of other sous vide machines, it's small enough to slip into a top drawer....
- Heats up fast: 1100 watts of power for hyper-fast water heating. System requirements: iOS 8.0 or...
- Perfect results: Visual Doneness feature in the Joule app displays exactly how food cooks. Dinner...
- Wifi and bluetooth ready: Works with iPhone or Android? connect with Bluetooth alone, or cook from...
If you’re looking for the best professional sous vide, then you’ll want to consider this one from ChefSteps. It’s not cheap, but you certainly get what you pay for. In this case, you get one that has a large capacity, heats up quickly, is easy to use and also super durable. Find out why it’s out top choice for professional and commercial kitchens.
- 1100 watts of heating power
- White body, with stainless steel cap
- Very small and sleek, but extra powerful
- Requires Internet access for some features (but still possible to use without)
- Connects to your phone via BlueTooth
- Compatible with Alexa
- Uses the Joule app to show you how your food is cooking
Customer Reviews for this Commercial Sous Vide Cooker
“Awesome device, great app and delicious recipes. This thing is awesome and I’m never going back to cooking meat without it! We use it at our restaurant all the time.”
“Unless you’re cooking with the Joule, you’re probably not getting all the deliciousness intended in your food. It’s awesome and super easy to use. It does take a few minutes to get connected via WiFi or Bluetooth though so leave a bit of extra time the first time you plan to use it. It’s commercial grade quality, which is evident from the first time you have it in your hands.”
“Nice device as far as cooking goes, but it keeps getting disconnected from the Internet and BlueTooth, leading to much frustration!”
Shop for Your Professional Sous Vide Cooker Today
Do you want to find out more about the best commercial sous vide machine? Click the button to head over to Amazon to learn more, and also to check for the lowest prices:
How to Use a Sous Vide Machine?
There are a number of steps you can follow when using a sous vide machine. However, it’s best to follow the manufacturer’s directions for the specific brand that you’re considering. That said, they don’t differ too much and we can give you some general advice about using them:
- Season your protein generously with salt, pepper and other spices or herbs.
- Bag it up in a vacuum sealer bag with aromatics if you wish.
- Get a good seal on the bag using a vacuum sealer.
- Set the temperature and time and start cooking.
- Let the meat rest for 10-15 minutes in the bag. This helps it to absorb the juices.
- (optional) Pat dry and sear in a very hot pan until a crust forms. You’ll want to do this for steak, but not something like fish.
- Serve or save! You can eat it, or cool down the bag in an ice water bath and eat what’s inside throughout the week. Or, you could cool it down and then put the entire bag in the freezer for a quick meal later.
Are Sous Vide Machines Safe to Use?
Like all other kitchen appliances, these types of machines are fitted with a number of safety features that helps to prevent any accidents. For example, they have thermostats, circuit breaks, safety fuses and more. This will help to prevent any problems like electric shock, explosions or fires.
Not to worry! And, it’s certainly safer than doing something like deep frying.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Immersion Circulator
There are a number of important things that you’ll want to think about when finding the best immersion circulator for your needs. Here are just a few of them.
For Commercial or Home Use
There are certainly some cheaper, but still top-quality machines out there that will be perfect for home use. However, many of them are quite expensive and are designed more for professional use. Which one you choose is up to you, but we find that the ones designed for home use work quite well and should be sufficient for most peoples’ needs.
Style of Machine
You can find two types of machines. The first is a wand style that clamps onto an existing pot that you have and then does its work! You don’t have to use your stove because it heats the water itself. These have the advantage of being quite small in terms of storage when not in use.
The second type you can find is the ones that are a a self-contained unit. That is, they look more like a typical kitchen appliance. You plug them in, fill them up with water and they have settings on the outside of the unit.
Capacity and Size on Countertop
If you have a small kitchen, you’ll want to opt for an immersion circulator that has a small footprint in terms of storage. The wand types ones might be a nice choice for you. If you want to cook a large amount of food, you’ll need to check the water heating capacity carefully.
However, in a professional kitchen, this will probably not be an issue and you may consider some of the higher capacity, countertop style ones that cook a large amount of food at the same time.
Time and Temperature Controls
Are they intuitive and easy to use? At minimum, there should be a temperature control and also a timer. Beyond that, there are certainly more options but we find that you don’t necessarily need them.
Durability and Warranty
If you want something more durable, we recommend opting for a stainless steel appliance as opposed to one with plastic.
And, as with any kitchen appliance that has a heating element, it can be prone to breaking down. Check the warranty to see how long it’s for. 1-2 years is pretty standard for this type of appliance.
Of course price is a consideration when buying anything, right? Immersion circulators are one area where you can spend a little (under $100) or a lot (more than $1000 for professional ones). We generally recommend products in the $200-300 range.
They work well, and allow for a large degree of customization so you can cook your meats exactly how you want them. Plus, the wand style ones at the higher end heat up the water much more quickly.
As with anything that you might want to buy, consider the reviews. We find that the best place to look is on Amazon at the 3-4 star reviews. They’ll usually give you the most accurate portrayal of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses.
Have your Say about the Best Sous Vide Machines
What are your thoughts about these home and commercial/professional sous vide machines? Are you considering one of them from list, or do you have your eye on another brand? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other cooking enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API