If you want to make fudge, boiled sweets or caramel sauce, then you’ll know that accurately measuring the temperature is key to these things turning out. In order to get the best results possible, you’ll want to find the best candy thermometer for home kitchen.
When you have a top-quality candy thermometer, you can get the exact right temperature that the recipe calls for. And this in turn means that your candy will turn out perfectly. Keep on reading for our top picks for candy thermometers, along with a buying guide to help you choose the right one for your needs. But, here’s a sneak peak at our top picks:
7 Best Candy Thermometers
Are you ready to see out top picks for making fudge and candy at home? Here are our top picks.
#1: Polder Candy Thermometer
- 6 TEMPERATURE ZONES printed on display, large and easy-to-read quick references: Deep Fry, Thread,...
- INSULATED HANDLE stays cool-to-the-touch and does not retain heat
- POT CLIP ATTACHMENT clips to side of pot and securely holds thermometer in place for precise...
- TEMPERATURE RANGES in Celsius and Fahrenheit – 90°F to 400°F (30°C to 200°C). Great for making...
- DISHWASHER SAFE Rust-resistant stainless steel, top rack only
We LOVE companies that stand behind their products and Polder does just that. If you’re not happy with your product, get in touch with them and they’ll replace it or offer you a refund.
Combine that with some great features like a cool-touch handle, sturdy clip, accurate measuring and this candy thermometer is a serious winner. Read more to find out all the things we like about it.
- Ideal for candy, jelly or deep frying
- Easy to read temperature zones include: deep fry, thread, soft ball, hard ball, soft crack and hard crack
- Stainless steel construction
- Sturdy pot clip
- Insulated handle
- Range of 90-400 degrees F
- Dishwasher safe
- Very accurate
- Money-back guarantee
“I’ve used this thing for a variety of sugary treats now and all have turned out so well. It measure accurately and is a breeze to clean up. You can put it into the dishwasher but I just wipe mine with a damp cloth right after I use it.”
“Not bad for the price, but like many candy thermometers, I’m not entirely sure how accurate it is. For deep frying, it’s good enough but for candy? I’m not sure as I’ve had one batch of ruined fudge.”
Do you want to find out more about the best thermometer for candy making? You can check it out for yourself on Amazon. Click the button below to see the best prices:
Compare the Best Candy Thermometers
Do you want to see the head-to-head comparison of some of the top rated candy thermometer so that you can make the best choice for your home kitchen? Then you’ll most certainly want to check out our chart below:
#2: Winco Deep Fry and Candy Thermometer
- Deep fry/candy thermometer
- Temperature range 100 to 400 Degree F
- Built-in pot clip
- Top hanging loop
- Measures 2 Inch x 11-3/4 Inch
If you’re looking for a very easy to read, large thermometer, then this one from Winco might be the best pick for your needs. It’s the biggest one on this list which means that it’s super easy to read. And, it’s also easy to get the precise temperature you want, which isn’t that common with an analog one. Find out why we like it here!
- 11.75 inches long
- Range of 100-400 degrees F
- Loop handle
- Sturdy pot clip
- Accurate measurements
- Easy to read at a quick glance
- Can read up to 400 degrees F
- It’s a large thermometer with wide graduations that can read quite easily
- Not ideal for shallower pots or fondues
“I’ve used a bunch of thermometers, both digital and analog for making candy at Christmas and have to say that this one is one of the best. All the recipes I’ve tried with it have turned out really well and it seems durable enough. It doesn’t work as a meat thermometer though so be sure to pick one of those as well.”
“Works well and is a nice alternative to glass because it’s a lot more durable. It’s long enough for the pot I use to make candy and seems accurate. Just wish it was a bit smaller and easier to work with but that’s my fault for not paying attention when I was ordering it!”
Get yours Today
Do you want to pick up one of the best rated candy thermometers? You can check it out for yourself on Amazon, and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#3: Taylor Precision Products Candy Thermometer
- INSULATED HANDLE AND PAN CLIP Clip is adjustable to attach to any size pan
- EASY TO READ Helpful candy temperatures are printed directly on the surface for convenient reference
- STAINLESS STEEL The classic design is 12” long overall and can be wiped clean with a damp wash...
- HIGHLY ACCURATE Thermometer measures in both °F and °C from 100 to 400°F
- LIFETIME LIMITED This thermometer is backed with a lifetime limited so you can make your purchase...
If you’re looking for one of the highest rated candy thermometers, then this one from Taylor Precision is probably it. This product has a ton of fans and customers talk about how accurate it is, along with how durable and easy to use it is. That’s certainly a winner in our books and our guess is that you’ll be pretty happy with it too.
- 100-400 degree F temperature range
- Easy read face
- Stainless steel
- 12 inches long
- Face shows the various candy stages
- Clean with a damp cloth
- Large clip is compatible with all pots
“Excellent thermometer for the price and works very well! I’ve made a few batches of fudge and other candy now and they all turned out perfectly. It could be a wee bit easier to read but that’s my only small complaint about it.”
“Very well made, is accurate and also easy to use. Pretty much perfect but wish it came with a case that I could throw it in so that it didn’t get banged up during storage.”
If you want to know more about one of the highest rated candy thermometers from Taylor Precision Products, you can click the button below to head over to Amazon:
#4: Maverick Digital Candy Thermometers
- Digital thermometer with 14 pre-programmed settings for hot oil and candy
- Signals with beeps and flashes when ideal temperature is reached
- Large LCD monitor; splatter/heat shield; pivoting stainless-steel probe
- Automatic shut-off after 3-1/2 minutes
- Runs on AAA battery (included); wipes clean with damp cloth
If you’re looking for the best digital candy thermometer, you don’t actually have a ton of choices. There just aren’t that many of them, but perhaps the best of the bunch is this one from Maverick. If you’re the type who doesn’t like to babysit what you’re cooking, this might be a good option for you! Read more to find out all the details.
- 14 pre-programmed settings for oil/candy
- When the temperature is reached, it signals with beeps and flashes.
- Large LCD monitor
- Splash and heat shield protects it
- Stainless steel probe that pivots
- Auto shut-off after 3.5 minutes
- Runs on 3 AAA batteries (included)
- Wipe with a damp cloth to clean
“Thought this would be easier to read for making candy than the other thermometer that I had. And of course, it is easier to read but I’m not sure that it’s very accurate. My fudge doesn’t quite turn out as well unfortunately.”
“I’ve been happy enough with it, but upon testing, it was a couple of degrees off with both an ice bath and boiling test. A bit frustrating, especially since there’s no way to calibrate it.”
“I had a hard time finding candy thermometers at stores these days so recommend buying them online. Amazon in particular has some great prices and a nice selection.”
Where Can I Find One?
Do you want to check out one of the best digital candy thermometers for yourself? Click the button below to head over to Amazon to find out more:
#5: Wilton Candy Thermometer
- DELICIOUS CANDY AND MUCH MORE: Use this candy thermometer to make hard candy, nougats, fudge and...
- MAKING CANDY IS EVEN EASIER: Just clip this handy thermometer onto the side of your melter, boiler...
- VERSATILE AND WELL-MADE: This 14.7" (37.3 cm) long metal thermometer measures temperatures from 60°...
- CLEANING AND CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Before first and after each use, wash in soapy warm water, rinse...
- EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE, EVERY DAY: Innovative products. Mouthwatering inspiration. Fun in the kitchen....
If you want to accurately measure the temperature of candy, then you’re going to want to consider this candy thermometer from Wilton. It’s one of the best in the business and has a number of features that we like including an easy-grab, cool-touch handle.
- Perfect for precise measurements
- 14.7″ long
- Clip holds the bulb securely in place without touching the side of the pot
- Range is 60-400 degrees F
- Warm in warm, soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly before storing it
- Company has been around since 1929
- Some reports that the glass is extremely fragile
What do People Think About It?
“Okay for the price, but I wish it was a little bit longer. You have to consider the pot carefully. Opt for a wider one instead of tall and skinny and it’s fine.”
“Flimsy and pretty cheap. The bulb is totally exposed and can break easily and it’s also hard to get the clip to stay in place. I’d probably go with another brand next time.”
“Used this thing for years and it worked fine. I’m not sure what all the negative reviews are about! It’s a great product for a nice price. Also be sure to pick up an oven thermometer as well—both these things are basically awesome.”
Where Can I Buy One?
Do you want to check out the Wilton Candy Thermometer for yourself? Click the button below to find out more details on Amazon, and don’t forget to check and see if this product is eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#6: Gourmia Digital Spatula Thermometer
- MULTIPURPOSE COOKING GADGET – 2-in-1 Kitchen & BBQ Grill Tool Reads Internal Temperature of...
- HANDY SILICONE SPATULA – Removable Spatula Spoon is Protective Sleeve for Long Temperature Probe;...
- INSTANT READ FOOD THERMOMETER – Precision Probe Delivers Fast, Accurate High Temp Readings Between...
- SLEEK DIGITAL DISPLAY – Modern Device Features Effortless 1-Button Operation & Easy Read LCD...
- DISASSEMBLES FOR CLEANING – Low Maintenance Chocolate Thermometer Monitors Food While Stirring;...
If you’re looking for a handy kitchen tool that can do double-duty, then look no further than this top rated candy thermometer that also happens to function as a spatula. If you make small batches of fudge, caramel, yogurt or jam, then this is a nice choice as it’s smaller in size than many of the other options on this list.
- Functions as a spatula
- Also a candy thermometer
- Ideal for tempering chocolate
- BPA free
- Food safe materials
- Instant read thermometer
- Can be used for BBQing and meat
- Comes apart for easy cleaning
- Non-stick paddle
- Ergonomically designed
“Awesome digital candy thermometer that’s ideal for small batches. Most other candy thermometer are designed for big batches.”
“Honestly my only regret about this candy thermometer is not buying it sooner! I was limping along with a very old one that wasn’t that accurate and I had a difficult time getting my recipes to set. I switched to this and the results were just so much better than before.”
“Super easy to use and it’s genius to combine a spatula with candy thermometer since you certainly need both for most of these kinds of recipes.”
Where Can I Buy a Candy Thermometer?
Do you want to pick up one of the best candy thermometers that also happens to have a spatula? We recommend shopping online to get the biggest selection and best prices. Click below to find out more about it over on Amazon:
#7: Oxo Good Grips Candy and Deep Fry Thermometer
- Glass thermometer is offset to allow for large, easy-to-read graphics
- Easy-to-read graphics include temperature ranges for different candy types
- Measurement markings indicate temperature within two degrees in F and C
- Convenient clip is extra-long to make it easy to attach, remove or adjust
- Rounded foot helps prevent scraping sides or bottom of pot
Oxo Good Grip is certainly one of the most trusted names in small kitchen gadgets and appliances. Their candy thermometer with clip is certainly no exception to this. Combine the great reviews, super reasonable price and a ton of durability and you certainly have a nice option to consider.
- Ideal for both candy making and deep frying
- Offset graphics make it easy to read
- Both F and C measurements
- Extra long clip makes it easy to adjust
- Rounded foot prevents scraping against pots
- Hand wash only (don’t immerse in water)
- Measures within 2 degrees
What do People Think About It?
“I’ve used a number of cheapies over the years and now wonder why I didn’t just spend a bit more money on this one? The quality is evident from the first time you put it in your hands and it’s accurate enough that my candy making efforts all turn out well without exception.”
“Nice design with a sturdy clip that makes it easy to put into the side of any pot. It also seems really durable and like I’ll be able to use it for years, unlike some of the glass ones that seem to break so easily.”
Do you want to pick up this top rated candy thermometer for your home kitchen? It’s easy to find it on Amazon. Click below to check availability and prices:
Candy Thermometer FAQs
There are a number of common questions that people have about using these products. Here are the answers to some of the most popular ones.
What Can I Use a Candy Thermometer For?
There are a number of reasons why you might to consider picking up one of these handy kitchen devices. Just a few things you can use it for include the following:
- Caramel sauce
- Hard boiled candies
Do I Actually Need a Candy Thermometer?
In short, yes! If you make homemade candy of any kind, then you’re definitely going to want an accurate thermometer like one of the ones from this list. It’s super difficult to judge the temperature by things like how much it’s boiling, or dropping some into cold water.
You may also be tempted to use a meat thermometer for example. However, these are not as finely tuned and even a half degree can make a difference so we don’t recommend using them for this purpose.
How Can I Use a Candy Thermometer?
Do you want to find out more about how you can use one of these handy kitchen tools? Check out this short video for all the details you need to know!
Can I Use a Candy Thermometer for Oil?
Whether or not you can use a candy thermometer for oil and deep frying is a very common question that people have. In general, it’s possible to use candy thermometers to measure oil temps for deep frying.
After all, they’re designed to be used with pots of hot, boiling sugar and other liquids and oil is not that much different. However, be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions for specific advice for the brand you’re using.
Can I Use a Candy Thermometer for Meat?
A common question that people have is whether or not they can use a candy thermometer for cooking meat. In general, they won’t work because they don’t have sharp, pointy ends and instead have a bulb on the end. To measure meat temperatures accurately, you have to insert the point into the centre of the meat and the design of candy thermometers makes this impossible.
How Can I Check a Candy Thermometer’s Accuracy?
It’s easy to test the accuracy of a candy thermometer by doing the following:
- Bring a pot of water to a roiling boil and insert the thermometer. It should measure 100 degrees C. Make sure it’s not touching the sides or bottom of the pot.
- Leave it in for 5 minutes.
- Inspect the thermometer and makes sure it’s still at 100 degrees C. Yes? It’s accurate!
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Candy Thermometer
There are a number of important things to consider when you’re choosing the right candy thermometer with clip for your home kitchen. Here are just a few of them.
When you’re making candy, accuracy is of course the most important thing to consider. You can test this easily by placing it into a pot of cool or warm water. Make sure the bottom of the bulb isn’t touching the bottom of the pot but that it’s suspended. Then, bring the water up to a boil and when it comes to a rolling boil, the temperature should be at 100 degrees C.
Don’t plunge a candy thermometer into already boiling water. If it’s cold, this can cause it to shatter.
Timers and Beepers
Some candy thermometers are equipped with things like timers or beepers for when something hits a certain temperature. We find that these bells and whistles are mostly unnecessary since you shouldn’t actually walk away from your food as it’s cooking as this style of cooking can be kind of dangerous if you’re not careful.
Digital or Analog
If you’re looking for digital candy thermometers thinking that they’ll be easier to read and more accurate, you’re really only half right! In general, a digital candy thermometer is easier to read, but accuracy isn’t as good. While you can buy some digital thermometers that are suitable for making candy or deep frying, we recommend sticking with analog.
Metal or Glass
In general, either metal or glass works well. However, you have to be a bit more careful when you store the glass ones so that they don’t break. We recommend wrapping them in a paper towel or cloth, or keeping the original packaging for this purpose.
Clip to Attach it to the Pot
All candy thermometers come with clips that attach it to the side of the pot. This is ideal because you can gradually keep an eye on your candy as it heats up to the correct temperature. Make sure that the clip is sturdy and durable enough for years of use because this is the first thing that usually ends up breaking.
Depending on what you want to make, the maximum temperature may or may not be important. Make sure to check some recipes out and be sure that the required temp doesn’t exceed the product that you’re considering buying.
Most top rated candy thermometers have a cool touch handle that you grab without burning yourself. This is useful for when it reaches the correct temp and you want to take it off the edge of the pot to continue on with your recipe.
Of course with anything, price is a major consideration. The good news is that the best digital candy thermometers, or the old schools ones are all quite reasonably priced. You can find a good one for well under $20 so this isn’t really a major consideration for most people.
We always recommend checking reviews for any sort of kitchen gadget that you might want to buy. The best place to do this is on Amazon, particularly at the 3-4 star reviews. They’ll give you a nice indication of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses.
Have your Say about the Top Rated Candy Thermometer
What’s your top pick for a candy thermometer? Is it one of them from this, or do you have another brand that you’d like to recommend? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you on Kitchen Gadget Reviews.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other candy making enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API