Tired of flexing your muscles every time you want to get a pickle from a jar for a snack? Or is the jar adult-proofed aside from being child-proofed? Well, you can make things easier for you if you have a jar opener handy. If this idea piques your interest, check out some of the best jar openers you may want for your kitchen.
Best Jar Openers: Top 8 Picks
- EZ Off Jar Opener
- Kichwit Stainless Steel Jar Opener
- Leifheit Extra Wide Lid and Jar Lid Opener
- Swing-A-Way Jar Opener
- Progressive Jar Grips Multi-Purpose Lid Openers
- Hamilton Beach Mechanical Jar Opener
- Kuhn Strain-Free Gripper an Opener
If you reached this point, keep on reading to know the features of these products.
#1: EZ Off Jar Opener
- THE EZ OFF JAR OPENER WILL OPEN TOUGH LIDS EFFORTLESSLY - EZ Off will grab hold of any lid whether...
- OPENS ALL JAR LID SIZES -- Try anything small like a bottle of water, nail polish or a wide...
- INSTALLATION AND OPERATION ARE EASY -- It's easy to install the EZ Off with the pre-attached,...
- YOU'LL NEVER KNOW IT'S THERE -- This jar opener hides neatly out of sight under a cabinet, cupboard,...
- THE EZ OFF JAR OPENER IS MADE IN THE USA -- The EZ Off is made with premium materials by American...
Opening jars will be easy as 1-2-3 with the EZ Off Jar Opener. After fastening the lid to the opener, you can simply twist it open. It will not matter if the lid is factory-sealed, tamper proof, or simply stuck on the jar. This handy tool can also be used on all jar sizes. Moreover, it is easy to install and use.
- Suitable for all jar sizes
- Easy installation and use
- Can be operated with one hand
- Hides under a cupboard or cabinet
- Premium US materials used
Customer Reviews for the EZ Off
“This is the best kitchen gadget I’ve bought in a really long time. Simple and does not need too much space in the kitchen. Works perfectly.”
“While I bought this for my father-in-law, I love using it. It is very easy to use. It works the way it was advertised and it’s perfect for those folks who are getting a bit older and having a difficult time opening up jars on their own.”
“Every kitchen should have this. I was able to install it in five minutes. It is also very easy to use and is ideal in that you don’t have to exert basically any force even to get the most stuck on lid off. I find nut butters particularly difficult but this thing makes it so easy.”
The Takeaway on the EZ Off Jar Opener
Opening jars is now very easy with the EZ Off Opener. It’s our top pick for a whole number of reasons, including the affordable price, compact design and finally, how easy you can open jars with this thing.
Shop Now for this Jar and Bottle Opener
Do you want to pick up one of the best jar openers for arthritic hands? Then head over to Amazon to check for the best prices and don’t forget to see if this product is eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
Review of the EZ Off Jar Lid Opener
Do you want to find out more about one of our top picks? Then you’ll certainly want to check out this video on YouTube for all the details you need to know about it and also to see it in action:
#2: Kichwit Stainless Steel Jar Opener
- Rust Resistant Jar Opener - This jar opener is made of heavy stainless steel and solid hard plastic...
- Sturdy and Durable - Suitable for jars with lids between 1” to 3.7” diameter. The jar opener is...
- Easy to Twist - The stainless steel teeth on the clamp grab the edge of the stubborn lid tightly and...
- Sweet Gift for Those with Arthritis Hands - With this arthritis jar opener, you will no longer have...
- Compact Kitchen Tool - This jar lid opener is easy to store and takes up small space in your kitchen...
When muscles are useless on a stubborn jar lid, the Kichwit Stainless Steel Jar Opener is your best option. This stainless-steel device has a durable hard plastic handle that allows you to open lids between 1 inch and 3.7 inches in diameter. A simple twist is all it takes to open jars with this gadget. Additionally, you also get an aluminum bottle opener keychain for free.
Key Features of the Kichwit Stainless Steel Opener
- Stainless steel and hard plastic material
- Durable and suitable for many lid sizes
- Ideal for arthritic hands
- Comes with free aluminum bottle opener keychain
- Does not take much space in the kitchen drawer
User Reviews for this Jar Opener for Seniors
“This gadget works like a charm. Simply clamp it on the lid and twist to open. This is a winner and I couldn’t be happier with it, especially for pasta sauce jars! I bought one for myself and then ended up getting a few more as presents for people in my life.”
“It is a pretty good kitchen tool. You can also expand it to fit bigger lids. It works like a dream and makes this task so much easier for my arthritic hands. I’ve used some of those electric jar openers in the past but find that they are not as easy as this one. I know, it’s kind of surprising but it’s true!”
“This replaced the oil jar opener I had. It took little effort for my arthritic hands to open jars. I like it and am so happy that my daughter bought this as a present for me.”
Summary for the Kichwit Stainless Steel Jar Opener
Your muscles can take rest when you have the Kichwit Stainless Steel option to open jars for you. This jar lid opener is a serious value for the money and works really well at doing what it’s designed to do.
Get Your Jar Opening Tool Today
Do you want to pick up a mechanical jar opener for your kitchen? Click the button below to find out more about the product on Amazon:
Compare Jar Opening Tools
Do you want to see how our top picks stand up in a head-to-head comparison? Then you’ll definitely want to check out this handy chart we’ve put together for you below:
#3: Leifheit Extra Wide Lid and Jar Opener
- STAINLESS STEEL multi-functional jar and lid opener with wide set handles
- EXTRA-WIDE OVAL SHAPED HANDLES offer a more comfortable use; ideal for seniors or those with...
- GRIPPING TEETH attach firmly to lids and securely remove it
- DISHWASHER SAFE so it's easier to clean up
- 11 x 5.75 x 0.25 inches
Looking for a jar opener and bottle opener in one gadget? If yes, the Leifheit Extra Wide Lid and Jar Opener fits the bill to a tee. This stainless steel, multifunctional tool has extra-wide handles that are comfortable to use. It is perfect for people with arthritic hands or seniors. Aside from jars, you can also use it for opening bottles.
- Stainless steel material
- Multifunctional jar and bottle opener
- Comfortable extra wide handles
- Ideal for most jars
What do People Think About It?
“Excellent product. I have been using this for a long time already to save it is great for my arthritic hands. I recommend this to anyone who struggles opening jars, or you may also want to consider an automatic jar opener too which is a bit more expensive but also easier.”
“This is the best jar opener I found in the market. Its wide mouth allows you to grip the lid properly before opening it. I love it and am so happy with my purchase.”
“I don’t have to slam or wrestle with lids just to open them with this tool. While I’m fit and strong, I sometimes struggle to open jar lids, especially those tiny baby food jars. But this gadget makes opening lids not much of a challenge anymore.”
The Takeaway on the Leifheit Extra Wide Lid and Jar Opener
Jar and bottle opener in one gadget? Check out the Leifheit Extra Wide Lid Opener and leave the struggle behind. It’s really easy to use, affordably priced and one of our top kitchen gadgets.
Where Can I Buy this Jar Opening Tool?
If you have a difficult time opening up jars, then you’re doing to seriously want to consider this top-notch option. Learn more about it on Amazon and also check for the lowest prices right here:
#4: Swing-A-Way Jar Opener
- OPEN JARS EASILY: This jar opener assists and can easily open stubborn jar lids and caps; adjusts to...
- SMOOTH AND EASY TO USE: This jar opener provides leveraged twisting and spring loaded power for...
- ALL STEEL CONSTRUCTION: This can opener is extremely durable with an all steel construction
- COMFORTABLE GRIP: Soft cushion grips for comfortable handling; ergonomic handles fit any size hands
- Hand wash when needed with warm water and a mild detergent, rinse and dry immediately; measures...
Keen on getting a jar opener from a company with decades of experience under its belt? Then, you should put the Swing-A-Way Opener on the top of your list. The company has been producing can openers since the 1930s. Their device can easily open jars of different sizes. It is durable and easy to use. Additionally, its soft cushion grips make it comfortable to use the gadget.
Key Features of this Jar Opening Tool
- Easy to use and fits most jar sizes
- Spring-loaded mechanism
- All-steel design makes it a durable gadget
- Easy to clean
- Ergonomic grip that is comfortable to use
Online Reviews for the Swing-A-Way Jar Opener
“Excellent value for the price. It is durable since it is made of metal and I think it’ll probably last a lifetime. I highly recommend this gadget, especially for older people and those with arthritis in their hands who are having a difficult time with opening up jars and getting lids off.”
“This is a very easy to use jar opener. It does not take much effort to open lids. This replaced my old one and I find that this one works way better and takes a lot less effort.”
“It can fit nearly all jar sizes unlike some of the battery operated jar openers I’ve seen. I can open all lids using this gadget. It is also great for my arthritic hands and saves me a ton of hassle and pain. I used to have to go to my neighbour’s house to get them to help me with this.”
Summary for the Swing-A-Way Jar Opener
Prefer an option from a brand with nearly a century of experience? Then, check out the Swing-A-Way Opener. The fact that it’s been around for so long is proof that it works.
Get Your Jar Opener Tool Today
Do you want to pick up one of the best tools for seniors? Then head over to Amazon by clicking the button below to check for the lowest prices and also to see if this product is eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#5: Progressive Jar Grips Multi-Purpose Lid Openers
- OPEN STUBBORN JARS OF ALL SIZES: These 3 durable rubber jar grips in 3 different shapes & colors...
- OPEN MANY DIFFERENT JARS: The teal square & green round flat grip openers are for use with large...
- FOOD PREP MADE EASY: We offer kitchen accessories that make food preparation faster, easier & more...
- STYLISH DESIGN & SOLID FUNCTIONALITY: Our philosophy is simple—offer stylish designs with...
- INNOVATING KITCHEN ESSENTIALS: We boast over 40 years of innovating kitchen products & housewares...
In the market for a lid opener that is both functional and pleasing to the eye? Well, the Progressive Jar Grips Multi-Purpose Lid Openers can do this for you. You get a set of three jar grips suitable for all jar and container sizes. Aside from their practical use, they have an eye-catching color that can liven up your kitchen.
Features of this Top Opener
- Set of three durable jar grips
- Different shapes for all jar types
- Innovative design that is pleasing to the eye
- Easily removes lids from jars
- Easy to wash
“This manual jar opener was a great purchase. They are so awesome, I purchased a second set. They help my weak, arthritic hands open stubborn lids of jars.”
“I love these multipurpose kitchen tools. Since my muscles and nerves are damaged, opening lids has been quite a struggle. But these gadgets have made all this easier for me.”
“I used to have a rubber grip to open bottles and jars, but I lost it. These tools are perfect for me whenever I need to open lids. I should have bought this a long time ago.”
Should you Consider Buying the Progressive Jar Grips Multi-Purpose Lid Openers?
Want to get an opener that can liven up your kitchen? You can do this with the Progressive Jar Grips Multi-Purpose Lid Openers.
Do you want to get yourself one of the best jar openers for arthritis? Then click the button below to head to Amazon and check availability:
#6: Hamilton Beach Mechanical Jar Opener
- Effortless push-button opening
- Simply place the jar opener on top of the jar and press the engage button
- Compact for easy storage in a drawer or cabinet
- Opens a wide variety of jar sizes-no jar is too tall
- Durable and built to last. Please refer the User Guide and the Instructional video before use.
If you’re looking for a lid opener for arthritic hands, this one might be the best choice. Unlike some of the others that do require a little bit of force, this one requires absolutely nothing in the way of effort and you only have to push a button. This device from Hamilton Beach quite literally does the rest. Read on to find out it’s the right kitchen tool for you.
- Automatic jar opener
- Works with the push of a button
- Compact and stores easily in a cupboard or drawer
- No jar is too tall!
- Very durable
“I’ve struggled to open up tight jars for years now until I picked up this thing. It honestly seemed almost too easy when I first started using it. Just push a button? But it really does work quite well.”
“This gadget to loosen jars opens up the tightest caps and lids, including pickle jars. Nice device at a reasonable price and it seems durable enough so far.”
The Takeaway on One of the Best Jar Openers
If you’re looking to open a tightly sealed jar at the touch of a button, this one from Hamilton Beach may certainly be at the top of your list. It really is that easy, even for seniors or people with arthritis to open jars in a few seconds.
Buy this Mechanical Jar Opener Today
This automatic jar opener is the ideal solution if you are a senior or suffer from arthritis. It makes it super easy to open a pickle jar, or any sort of jar for that matter effortlessly in just a few seconds. Head over to Amazon to pick one up today:
#7: Kuhn Rikon Strain-Free Gripper and Opener for Jars
- Designed to eliminate the struggle and strain of opening household jars and bottles
- Locks securely onto lids via 3 sets of steel jaws/teeth (attaches by a simple clockwise motion;...
- Adjustable mechanism will remove any lid or cap between 1 and 3.5 inches in diameter and is suitable...
- Long handle provides extra leverage for stubborn lids, including vacuum seals (opener is ideal for...
- Easy to clean and store: wipe with a damp cloth (not dishwasher safe) and keep within kitchen...
Are you suffering from arthritis and want a simple tool to open jars without using a lot of force? Look no further than this gripper and opener from Kuhn. Keep on reading to find out more about why we like it so much.
- Plastic with a stainless steel blade
- Comes in a variety of colours
- Locks onto jars with 3 sets of teeth
- Ideal for a range of lid sizes from 1 to 3.5 inches.
- Long handle provides extra leverage
- Hole in the handle to hang from a hook in the kitchen
“I have carpal tunnel and arthritis and find it super difficult to open jars. This thing has been a real life-saver for me and has made some really difficult into something that just takes a second or two.”
“Super versatile and I love that it expands with the twist of a knob to accommodate jars of different sizes.”
The Takeaway on this Jar Opener for Arthritic Hands
If you’re looking for a versatile kitchen gadget to open jars, then consider this one from Kuhn. It’s ideal for elderly people or those with arthritis.
Does it sound like the right mechanical jar opener for your kitchen? You can easily find all the details you need to know about it on Amazon:
What About an Electric Jar Opener?
If you’re looking for the best automatic jar opener, not to worry. We’ve got you covered as well. These electric openers can be really useful if you want something that’s entirely hands-free, which is perfect if you a serious condition like arthritis and don’t want to irritate your hands with even a small amount of force.
Head over to Amazon to see our top battery operated jar openers right here:
Top 6 Factors to Consider When Buying a Jar Opener
For many people, a jar opener is a good thing to have in the kitchen. But for the elderly and people with arthritic hands, it is more of a necessity. It makes opening the lids of jars easier. If you are thinking of getting one, you should make sure it is suitable for your needs. Due to this, we came up with some factors you should consider when you are in the market for a jar opener.
#1: Type of Jar Lid Openers
There are two main types of jar openers: electric and manual. From the name itself, electric ones require electricity to be used. While they are easy to use, you should consider corded models since battery-operated models may not be quite reliable. On the other hand, corded models may take a bite at your budget. Manual openers may require you to use some muscles, but you would not need to exert as much effort as opening jars with an opener. They are also cheaper than electric models.
For design, you should consider getting a fixed design or a portable design. Fixed designs are mainly under the cabinet models where you install it under a kitchen cabinet. Opening jars with this model allows you to use both hands. On the other hand, portable models are handheld openers with a pad gripping the jar and handle. While you have to exert some effort to open a jar, it will not require much muscle power.
When it comes to versatility, some of them can be used as bottle openers. This makes it an incredibly useful tool to have in the kitchen. You can also consider the jar sizes the device can open. Many may have limitations on the jar sizes, but some can open all jar sizes.
Similar to other kitchen tools, the durability of the opener is one thing you should consider. You should look for one that can last long. Stainless steel ones are advisable since they do not rust. You can check customer reviews to see if the jar opener you are eyeing can last long.
#5: Price of Jar Opener Tools
The price is another important factor to consider. Prices can range from under $5 up to nearly $150. Manual jar openers are typically cheaper than their electric counterparts. So, you should compare prices along with the features offered by the ones you find online.
#6: Customer Reviews
Another important factor to consider is reviews. It’s always prudent to take a l0ok at what actual users of the products are saying before dropping some money, right? In this case, we recommend taking a look at the 3-4 star reviews on Amazon because they’ll usually give you the best indication of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses.
Jar Opener FAQs
There are a number of important questions that people have about getting lids off of jars. Here are the answers to some of the most important ones.
How do you Open a Sealed Mason Jar?
The best way to open a sealed mason jar is to hold it securely with one hand and then use a butter knife between the seam of the lid and top of the jar. Then, pry the flat lid off until you are able to easily grab it with your fingers.
How do you Get a Tight Jar Lid Off?
There are a number of options you can try to get a tight jar lid off:
- With an opener of some kind, either automatic or manual
- Brute force
- Using a rubber glove
- Breaking the seal with a butter knife
- Running the lid under hot water
- Tapping the lid with a butter knife or spoon to break the seal
What is the Easiest Way to Open a Glass Jar?
The easiest way to open a glass jar is with a jar opener. You can find both manual and battery operated options at local stores or online.
How do you Open a Pickle Jar that Won’t Open?
One of the best way sot open a pickle jar that won’t open is to use a butter knife. Run the knife under the lid and twist it a little to break the vacuum seal and then the jar should open easily.
How do you Use a Jar Opener?
Have your Say about the Best Jar Opener
What’s your top pick for openers? Is it a manual or electric one? Is it one of the options from this list or do you have your eye on another one? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other home cooks, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API