As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. What does this mean? I recommend products (only ones that I like) and if you purchase a product through that link, I earn some money.
If you’ve ever tried making Spaetzle by hand, you’ll know what a hassle it is! It’s super messy and requires a ton of time as well as technique. Instead, why consider a spaetzle maker? Keep on reading for our picks for the best spaetzle makers available today.
What is Spaetzle?
Do you want to know exactly what they are? Let’s find out. According to Wikipedia:
“Spätzle are egg-based pasta made with egg of an irregular form with a rough, porous surface. The dough is put directly into boiling water or steam and the form varies between thin and thick, elongated and short. The moist dough is either pressed through a perforated metal plate or it drips through this plate into the boiling water.”
Basically, they are a delicious German noodle that you’ll need to try out for yourself as soon as possible. They really are that delicious!
Before we get into all the details of our top picks for making this delicious treat, here’s a sneak peak at our top choices:
There are a ton of reasons why you’d want to pick up a Spaetzle grater instead of doing it by hand. It’ll save you a ton of time and hassle, make more uniform shapes of pasta, plus you’ll have an easier clean up time.
Top 5 Spaetzle Makers
Are you ready to get into it? Without further ado, here are our top picks.
#1: Spaetzle Nooder Maker by Westmark
- With classic layout of holes/ consisting of two parts - can easily be dismantled by simply pulling...
- Single parts can be put into the dishwasher/ dimensions: 400 x 85 x 110 mm/ material: coated...
- The handle is flattened and offers with it's the three grooves at the front part safe hold on pots...
- Can also be used as a ricer for purees, spaghetti-ice, mashed potatoes and as fruitpress
- The press for "spaetzle"-noodles and potatoes with larger capacity - made in germany
If you’re looking for the best Spaetzle maker on the market today, then you’ll definitely want to consider this one from Westmark. Not only does it have a ton of excellent reviews, but it’s affordably priced and also built like a tank to last you a lifetime. Keep on reading to find out more about out top pick.
- Consists of two parts that can be easily separated for easy cleaning
- Made from coated aluminum
- Dishwasher safe parts
- Three grooves on the front to fit onto various pot sizes
- Can also be used as a fruit press, for mashed potatoes, etc.
- Also ideal for making baby food
- Made in Germany
Customer Reviews for the Westmark Classic Round Noodle Maer
“I spent a little bit more because I wanted something durable and that would last. This one is built like most German things—super solidly and to last a lifetime. Seriously, I think I’ll be making Spaetzle with this thing until I physically can’t eat them anymore!”
“Love the notches on the front of this thing that you can rest onto any pan or pot. It makes it super easy to use for things like mashed potatoes or fruit or veggie purees. Can’t say enough good things about this and use it almost every single week at my house for a variety of things.”
“Nice and sturdy and makes perfectly shaped Spaetzle. It’s quite well-designed so doesn’t require a ton of force to push the dough through it.”
Do you want to find out more about one of the best spaetzle makers on the market today? Then you’ll need to head over to Amazon to learn more about this one from Westmark. And, don’t forget to see if the product is eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#2: Zoie and Chloe Stainless Steel Spaetzle Maker Lid + Scraper
- Makes quick and easy authentic German dumplings
- Generously sized board lets you make more spaetzle in less time
- Included scraper presses batter into pot
- High-grade stainless steel construction. Dishwasher safe
- Size: 10.75 inches diameter
Next up is this uniquely designed spaetzle maker press that works surprisingly well. The way it works is that it’s basically a board that you push dough through with a scraping tool. If you want to make a ton of homemade pasta in a short amount of time, then this might be exactly what you need. Find out why we like it so much.
- Made from stainless steel
- Includes a scraping tool
- Larger than expected! (10.75 inches in diameter)
- Dishwasher safe
- Add finely chopped spinach or cheese to your dough for a special treat and you can also use various kinds of sauce too.
“No Spaetzle machines are truly struggle-free, but this one perhaps comes the closest. I’m actually surprised it worked so well, especially when you consider how simple it is and the price. I made a ton of dumplings in a short amount of time and the scraper works super well for pushing dough through. Nice work Zoie and Chloe!”
“Makes a bunch of dumplings with minimal mess. Just be sure to remove it from the boiling water between batches or the dough will start to cook and you’ll have a bit of a mess to clean up before doing more.”
“Holes are the perfect size and it fits nicely over small pots. Really great product and it’s probably the best one you can get in North America in my opinion.”
Get Yours Today
Does it sound exactly what you need to make these specialty German dumplings at home easily? It probably is! You can check on Amazon for the best prices:
How to Use a Spaetzle Maker
Do you want to find out how to use one of these handy kitchen tools? Check out this video below for a recipe, how to pronounce Spaetzle and then all the tips and tricks you need:
#3: Stainless Steel Spaetzle Maker with Comfort Grip Handle
- Want to make Spaetzle just like how Oma did? Make traditional German noodle dumplings at home with...
- Easy to use and serve up Spaetzle with meat, butter, sweet and sour dressings, or pioneer a new...
- Plastic slider to prevent scratching of stainless steel and staining of the dough.
- Has a soft santoprene handle for a non-slip grip.
- Ideal for pans with a diameter of approx. 30 cm.
The next one on our list of the best Spaetzle tools is a more traditionally designed one with a handle on it. Like the other, it works extremely well and has a ton of great reviews online. Keep reading to learn more about it.
- Ergonomically designed handle that’s easy to hold onto
- Plastic slider to prevent scratching of the stainless steel
- Works well for pans with a 30 cm diameter (do it directly into the pot of boiling water)
- Dough passes through the holes easily
- Makes completely uniform spaetzle dumplings
- Reasonably easy to clean by hand
- Dishwasher safe
What do People Think About It?
“I tried making spaetzles by hand, but what a hassle that was! I finally broke down and bought one of these tools, which is actually pretty cheap. What a huge difference! But, keep in mind that the dough is quite sticky and you should clean it right away instead of letting it sit around until after dinner. At the very least, submerge it in water and it’ll be easier to deal with.”
“Nice tool that stay in place on the pot really well. It’s sturdy and the dough passes through it easily. Plus, you can throw it into the dishwasher when you’re done. Delicious homemade pasta! Yum!”
“The board and knife method gets old really fast when making these dumplings, let me tell you! This is just so much easier and better—I can’t believe I didn’t pick up one of these things years ago actually.”
Get It Now
Does this traditional style of Spaetzle machine sound like the right one for your home cooking? You can head over to Amazon to find out more about it and don’t forget to check for the best prices right here:
#4: Harcci Spaetzle Noodle Maker
- MAKE HOMEMADE SPAETZLE: Tired of your usual side dish? Want to make Spaetzle just like how Oma did?...
- COOKING JUST BECAME EASIER: Make homemade Spaetzle with ease. Simply prepare the dough and place the...
- YOU’LL NEVER REPLACE IT: Use the Spaetzle maker as often as you want and wash it in the...
- EASY TO CLEAN AND STORE: Cleaning the Spaetzle maker is effortless. Simply remove the slider basket...
- CHOOSE ONE OF THE 5 COLORS: The Harcci Spaetzle maker is available in 5 beautiful colors! Choose...
Like the previous option, this is more traditional style of spatzle grater that has a handle and fits over a pot. It makes it super easy to pass dough through it straight into a pot of boiling water. Then season the noodles/dumplings however you want for a tasty and delicious meal!
- Safety pusher
- Comfortable handle makes it ideal for large quantities
- Five colours available
- Just pour the dough into the basket and slide it back and forth over the grater
- Heavy-duty stainless steel
- Dishwasher safe (remove the slider basket for best results)
- High in quality and should last a lifetime
“This German Spaetzle Maker gets a ton of use in our house, at least once a week. Quick tip though: That batter box is a wee bit annoying to use, and also clean up after (we don’t have a dishwasher). I recommend just pushing the batter through with a spatula. It’s faster and works really well.”
“The best spaetzle maker around? It fits onto most pots quite nicely and the holes are the perfect size. Love this thing and my family can’t get enough of these little German dumplings.”
“Love this thing! I used to use a metal colander but that was really messy. This thing keeps my kitchen and fingers clean and it’s easy to just throw it into the dishwasher when I’m done.”
Where Can I Buy a Spaetzle Maker?
If you want to find out more about this top-quality German noodle maker, then you’ll want to head over to Amazon. Don’t forget to see if this product is eligible for free shipping:
#5: Goldspatz Spaetzle Board and Scraper
- Spaetzle board from Germany + scraper stainless steel
- For the preparation of noodles after original Swabian prescription - in minutes!
- Spaetzle "Made by Hand", Board (wood), ca 13.8 x 5.9 x 0.4 Inch
- Scraper (stainless steel) ca 4 x 4 Inch
- Incl. Spaetzle recipe in English language.
How to make spaetzle the traditional way? Well, you’re going to need to pick yourself up this spaetzle board and scraper by Goldspatz. It certainly has simplicity on its side but it does take some practice and technique to really master is.
- Includes a wooden board and stainless steel scraper
- Includes a recipe book
- Top quality materials
- Ideal size and a nice feel to them
“I was a little bit worried about how the wooden board would hold up being exposed to so much steam and boiling water. However, it wasn’t a problem at all and it’s still going strong a few years later after many years. However, it does take some time to master the technique so don’t give up too soon! And check some videos online to learn more too.”
“Reasonably quick to make enough Germany dumplings for my family of four. Plus, it’s fun to use this thing too and we all take a turn to see who can do it the best (It’s me by the way!)”
“Love this thing. It’s exactly the right size for the task and it’s obviously made to last a lifetime.”
Where to Buy a Spaetzle Maker?
Do you want to pick yourself up this spaetzle board and scraper tool? Head on over to Amazon to check for the best prices:
How to Make Spaetzle by Hand
Okay, so you don’t want to buy a machine, but instead prefer to do this by hand? No problem. You’ll want to check out this short video below for all the details you need to know about it:
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Spaetzle Maker
There are a number of things you’ll want to think about when choosing the right spaetzle maker press for your home kitchen. Here are some of the most important ones.
Type (Press vs Grater vs Board)
You can get three basic types of spaetzle machines: a press, grater or a board and scraper. The first one on this list is a press, where you put the dough into a device and then press it through holes using a top portion of it.
The second kind is the grater where you put the dough into a well of some kind and then push it over a grater that releases the dough into the pot below. Some people use a spatula with this instead of the dough well because they find it works better.
The final option is the board and scraper style (#5 on this list) which is actually the most difficult to use. You have to have some serious technique with this thing, but it does come with time!
We generally prefer products that are made from heavy-duty stainless steel. While they’re a bit more expensive, they’re built to last a lifetime.
We always recommend checking reviews first before buying any sort of kitchen appliance. The best place to look is on Amazon, particularly the 3-4 star reviews. They will usually give you the best indication of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses.
Of course as with anything you buy, price is certainly a factor. In general, you can get a very decent one of these things for around $20 USD. That said, there are some closer to $50 that are built tough and will last you a lifetime. However, most people find that the cheaper ones work well enough for their needs.
Have your Say about about Spaetzle Makers
What are your thoughts about the best Spaetzle Makers? Are you considering one of them from this list, or another option? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other Spaetzle enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2019-11-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API