Famed Italian director Federico Fellini once said, “Life is a combination of magic and pasta.” Since magic is in the realm of hobbits and unicorns, we will just have to make do with pasta and of course, you’ll need a pasta strainer to get the job done. Italy’s love for pasta has spread around the world to a point where everyone now loves pasta. If you haven’t tried cooking pasta at home yet, then now is the time for you to try it.
But before taking out your cookbook with all the pasta recipes you have been itching to try, you should prepare everything you need. One of the things you need is a pasta strainer or a colander. This kitchen tool is used to drain water from food after cooking.
Top 7 Pasta Strainers and Colanders
With the countless options available in the market, we went ahead and came up with a list of the seven best pasta strainers you may want to get for your kitchen.
- Vremi Collapsible Colander
- HiramWare Stainless Steel Colander
- Kitchen Gizmo Snap N Strain Strainer
- U.S. Kitchen Supply – Stainless Steel Oval Colander
- Cook N Home Stainless Steel Pasta Cooker Steamer
- Bellemain Pasta Strainer
- Premium Collapsible Metal Colander
Now check out what each of these options offers.
#1: Vremi Collapsible Colander
- ESSENTIAL KITCHEN STRAINER TOOL - This simple, flexible, yet stylish kitchen strainer features...
- DURABLE SILICONE COLANDER - Made of heavy duty BPA free silicone that can resist heat up to 175°F...
- JUST THE RIGHT SIZE and 5 QT CAPACITY - This folding colander has a capacity of 5 quarts that's 12.5...
- FOLDABLE and SPACE SAVING - This lightweight and expandable drainer basket collapses from 5 inches...
- EASY to USE & DISHWASHER SAFE - No need to worry about hand washing this decorative kitchen utensil....
If you are someone who isn’t keen on metallic utensils in the kitchen, the Vremi Collapsible Colander is the right pasta strainer for you. Made of BPA-free silicone, this colander can easily glamor up your kitchen with its stylish looks. Moreover, it will not take up much space in the kitchen since you can easily collapse it and store it in any kitchen drawer.
- Heat resistant, durable BPA-free silicone material
- Ergonomic handles
- 5-quart capacity
- Collapsible design for easy storage
Customer Reviews for the Vremi Collapsible Colander
“This is a great concept for this product. It saves a lot of space in the kitchen. Spaghetti does not go through the holes while draining.“
“It is very useful and can be stored easily. This colander replaced the one I’ve been using for years. It is also easy to clean and I certainly recommend this to anyone looking for an easy to use kitchen gadget.”
“Simple yet intelligent design. It can also handle hot water very well. I can easily put it in the dishwasher after collapsing it In a pinch, you can also it to rice potatoes.”
The Takeaway on the Vremi Collapsible Colander
Not enough space in your kitchen? The Vremi Collapsible Colander is the answer to your prayers if you want to cook pasta at home. It expands out to be able to handle large amounts of hot pasta and water. However, when it’s not in use, you can collapse it where it takes up a small footprint in a drawer or kitchen cupboard.
It’s a nice solution for small kitchens or apartments and that’s why we’ve chose it as our best colander option. You’ll probably like it as much as we do!
Shop Now for this Collapsible Strainer
Does it sound like the right collapsible pasta strainer for your home kitchen? You can easily pick it up on Amazon. Click the button below to find out more information about it and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
Compare Pasta Strainers
Do you want to see all of our top picks for colanders side by side? Then you’ll want to check out this handy comparison chart below:
#2: HiramWare Stainless Steel Colander
- ★ MADE OF HIGH QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL: This heavy duty colander, which will last for decades, is...
- ★ ERGONOMIC AND STURDY HANDLE: Easy and comfortable to grip.
- ★ DRAINS FAST: The right size of holes is small enough so that food won’t fall through, and the...
- ★ FASHIONABLE & BEAUTIFUL: A perfect idea for gifts and kitchen decoration.
- ★ LARGE CAPACITY & VERSATILE: 5-quart capacity to hold and drain everything from pasta, spaghetti,...
Are you looking for a pasta strainer that is more than just a simple pasta strainer? Then you may want to check out the Vremi Stainless Steel Colander. Since it is made of stainless steel, it will last for a long time. Its ergonomic handle also makes it comfortable to use. Additionally, the holes are suitably-sized to drain water while ensuring the pasta does not fall through them.
Key Features of the HiramWare Stainless Steel Colander
- Heavy-duty stainless steel material
- Durable and ergonomic handle
- 5-quart capacity
- Suitably-sized holes
- Stylish design adds pizzazz to the kitchen
“It works better than I expected. This colander replaced the two I previously owned. It can also be easily cleaned in a dishwasher.”
“High-quality colander at an affordable price. The plastic handles are also quite durable. It is also a perfect size for my needs.”
“It’s a great deal at its price. The company replaced the first one I got since it broke. Customer service is great and I find that’s it’s a nice size. Not too big, but large enough to handle a big pot of pasta or potatoes for my big family dinners.”
Summary for the HiramWare Stainless Steel Colander
Looking for a durable pasta strainer that is not hard on your budget? Well, the HiramWare Stainless Steel Colander is ideal for your needs. It’s easy to use and also easy to clean because you can just throw it into the dishwasher when you’re done with it. No more trying to get oily pasta water off this colander by hand, right? This fact alone makes it one of the best options for most people.
Where Can I Get this Metal Colander?
Does this metal pasta strainer sound like the right one for you? Some people certainly prefer metal ones because they’re virtually indestructible and will last a lifetime.
You can find out more about it over on Amazon by clicking the button below:
#3: Kitchen Gizmo Snap N Strain Strainer
- ORIGINAL MANUFACTURERS: This is the original Snap n' Strain designed and manufactured by Kitchen...
- UNIVERSAL DESIGN: The specially designed clips will fit nearly all round pots, pans, and big and...
- SPACE SAVING: Small, compact strainer that is easy to use and store in a quarter the size of the...
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: One Snap N’ Strain Strainer (Green)
- KITCHEN GIZMO GUARANTEE: All our products come with a 1-year warranty. We will replace all defective...
Looking for a snap-on strainer rather than a full pasta strainer? Then check out the Kitchen Gizmo Snap N Strain Strainer. Designed to fit just about all pots and pans, this is a handy strainer to have in the kitchen. Heck, it can even be used on different types of bowls, including the lopped versions. This strainer is around a quarter the size of a standard colander. This makes storage a breeze.
- Easy-to-use grip design and dishwasher-safe
- Compatible with most pots, pans, and bowls
- Made of BPA-free silicone
- Compact design makes storage quick and easy
- One-year warranty
What do People Think About It?
“This is a fantastic pasta strainer. It works better than I expected. I can easily strain pasta from a pot with this strainer snapped into place.”
“This is the best kitchen gadget I have ever used. It easily fits all the pots and pans in my kitchen. Since it is dishwasher-safe, cleaning is a dream. Super happy with it and I’ve now recommended it to a ton of people who are also really happy with it.”
“I have a small apartment with limited space, this is a great strainer for me. It makes pasta cooking easy for me. I’m very pleased with it.”
The Takeaway on the Kitchen Gizmo Snap N Strain Strainer
Limited kitchen space? No problem with the Kitchen Gizmo Snap N Strain Strainer. It’s compact and takes up a small space in the cupboard when not in use, but it’s big enough to handle a good amount of food in style.
Where Can I Find It?
Does it sound like the best strainer for your needs? You can easily pick it up on Amazon. Click the button below to learn more about it about here:
#4: U.S. Kitchen Supply – Stainless Steel Oval Colander
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE MESH COLANDER BASKET: Premium quality high performance over the sink oval...
- HELPING HAND TO PREPARE FOOD: Our oval colander strainer basket can rest over the sink with the...
- SIFT, STRAIN, DRAIN AND RINSE: Colander has a very large 13" by 9" basket with a 6 quart capacity,...
- MULTIPLE USES: Our oval colander basket strainer is great for sifting, filtering and straining out...
- RISK FREE PURCHASE - 100% LIFETIME SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We assure you that this stainless steel...
Ever wondered how professional chefs cook strain pasta? Well, wonder no more since the U.S. Kitchen Supply – Stainless Steel Oval Colander lets you experience straining pasta like a professional chef. It features a high-quality steel mesh for strainer pasta and other food. Sitting on top of the sink, it also makes food preparation efficient. Aside from straining, you can also use it for rinsing rice before cooking, sieving, and sifting different ingredients for dishes you are cooking up in the kitchen.
- Premium quality stainless steel mesh
- Expandable rubber handles designed to fit most kitchen sinks
- Can be used on both dry and wet ingredients
- 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee
Online Reviews for the U.S. Kitchen Supply – Stainless Steel Oval Colander
“This is the perfect pasta strainer for me. It felt more hygienic and sanitary. Water easily goes through the strainer and straight into the sink. I use a kitchen sink strainer to catch anything that might slip out!”
“Durable and solid pasta strainer. It can easily fit the ceramic sink in my kitchen. Does not slip and I’ve never had a single problem at all with it. I’ve been using it a lot for a few months now and it’s showing not a single sign of wear and tear. I have a feeling I’ll be using this thing for years to come.”
“This is a great product and I strongly prefer the sink colander type strainers to the other options out there. Its shape saves space and can fit nearly all sinks. Durable product.”
Summary for the U.S. Kitchen Supply – Stainless Steel Oval Colander
Are you wondering how you can cook pasta more efficiently? Wonder no more since the U.S. Kitchen Supply – Stainless Steel Oval Colander allows you to focus on other things while straining your pasta.
Pick up this Large Strainer Today
Do you want to pick up this sink colander for yourself? You can find the best prices on Amazon and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#5: Cook N Home Stainless Steel Pasta Cooker Steamer
- Includes: 8 quart stockpot, steamer insert, pasta insert/pot, and a tempered glass lid
- Stainless steel with an aluminum disc layered in the bottom for even heat distribution
- Tempered glass lid with steam vent to view food; Durable stainless steel riveted handles
- Deep steamer insert holds a large amount; Pasta pot/strainer cooks a variety of noodles
- Works on Induction, gas, electric, glass, ceramic, halogen, etc.; Dishwasher safe
Tired of buying kitchen utensils you need to cook pasta one at a time? Then check out the Cook N Home Stainless Steel Pasta Cooker Steamer. Aside from the pasta strainer, you get an 8-quart stockpot, a tempered glass lid, and a steamer insert. This set gives you everything you need to cook pasta.
Features of this Pasta Strainer
- Four-piece steamer and pasta cooking set
- Includes pasta pot and deep steamer insert
- Durable stainless steel material
- Works on gas, electric, or induction cookers
“Excellent cooking products and great customer service. The value provided by the manufacturer is unmatched.”
“Great value for its price. The stainless steel finish is well-made. Its aluminum base is thick and makes it easy to sweat garlic and onions for sauces.”
“I love this cooking system. It makes cooking pasta as easy as 1-2-3. The pot is durable and looks pretty too. Overall, I can’t say enough good things about this product and I even bought one for my daughter when she moved out.”
Should you Consider Buying the Cook N Home Stainless Steel Pasta Cooker Steamer?
Looking for a complete cooking system to work on your pasta recipes? Well, check out the Cook N Home Stainless Steel Pasta Cooker Steamer and your kitchen will be churning out pasta dishes every day.
Get your Colander Strainer Today
Do you want to pick yourself up this pasta colander? Then you’ll want to head over to Amazon to find the lowest prices on small kitchen gadgets and appliances:
#6: Bellemain Pasta Strainer
- 5-QUART COLANDER (THAT’S OVER 5 POUNDS OF SPAGHETTI): Tiny, closely spaced holes mean your food...
- FAST-DRAINING, NO RICE GETS THROUGH: A big improvement over both old-fashioned colanders with gaping...
- RUST-PROOF DISHWASHER SAFE 18/10 STAINLESS STEEL: You'll be impressed with the quality of the heavy...
- TABLETOP READY WITH ADVANCED STABILITY BASE : The holes in this colander are small enough that you...
- HEAVY-DUTY RIVETED HANDLES: High quality steel for a colander that is thicker and more durable than...
- 5 quarts
- Heavy-duty stainless steel
- Dishwasher safe
- Very small holes means that food won’t escape (even rice or quinoa)
- Heavy duty handles that you won’t lose grip on
“It worked really well until it didn’t! The handle actually fell off and I was ready to give this thing a 1 star review. However to my surprise the company sent me a new one without any sort of hassle at all. Great customer service backing this product which is why I still recommend it.”
“Drains really easily and I honestly just love the fact that I can throw it into the dishwasher when it has an oily pasta water film on it. It saves a ton of time and gets it actually clean.”
“Nice pasta strainer that’s large enough for a big batch of spaghetti. Overall, I’m happy with it and would give it a solid recommendation.”
Shop Now for this Pasta Strainer
Do you want to pick up one of the best pasta strainers? You can easily find this one on Amazon so be sure to check for the lowest prices right here:
#7: Collapsible Metal Colander
- MATERIAL SAFETY: Sailing Silicone Colander/Strainer has High Quality Silicone and Stainless Steel...
- HEAT-RESISTANT: -40 °F and 446 °F. Sailing Silicone Colander/Strainer can go directly into boiled...
- HIGH-CAPACITY and COLLAPSIBLE: Sailing Silicone Colander/Strainer has three levels for expansion,...
- FAST and FLEXIBLE: Sailing Silicone Colander/Strainer has Over 330 holes under or along side of this...
- ORDER "Sailing Silicone Colander/Strainer" WITH NO WORRY - 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If you are...
- Collapsible silicone with a stainless steel base
- BPA free
- 100% food grade silicone
- Dishwasher safe
- Heat resistant and can go directly into boiled water
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Lots of holes for fast draining
- 2.5 quart capacity
Customer Reviews for this Collapsible Pasta Strainer
“Works great so far and the silicone part on the top is thicker than you might expect. I expect this thing to be quite durable for years to come and I love that it’s collapsible which makes for easy storage when not in use.”
“Top quality and I love the handles which just make it so easy to carry hot things from pot to sink or whatever. Excellent customer service and fast shipping too.”
“Nice collapsible pasta strainer with silicone for people with a small kitchen or RV or something like that.”
Where Can I Buy this Colander Strainer?
Do you want to pick up one of the best collapsible metal colanders? Then you’ll want to click the button below to find out more about it on Amazon and don’t forget to check and see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
Best Kitchen Colanders
Do you want to see some more top picks for the best rice strainers and pasta colanders? Then you’ll want to check out this video on YouTube:
Top 6 Factors to Consider When Buying a Pasta Strainer
A pasta strainer is a very useful tool in the kitchen. Aside from draining pasta, it can also be used when washing vegetables, rinsing grains, and straining yogurt. But you may be facing a predicament on which pasta strainer to buy with the numerous options available. To help you overcome this challenge, we came up with a list of factors you can consider when you are planning to buy a pasta strainer.
#1: Size of the holes
Since pasta strainers are used to drain pasta, they have holes where water can pass through while keeping the solids inside. There are different sizes for the holes. Pasta strainers with smaller holes can be used for straining small-grained food in addition to pasta. These types of strainers can also be used to remove solids from soup stock. So if you want to use your pasta strainer for other purposes, you may want to look for pasta strainers with smaller holes.
Pasta strainers are made of different materials. There are metal strainers, plastic strainers, and strainers made of silicone material. Metal colanders are quite durable, but they tend to drain slowly. While plastic strainers are cheap and lighter, you may want to avoid using them with hot liquids or pans. In the end, the material of the pasta strainer will depend on how you are going to use it.
Most pasta strainers have similar designs, but the unique design of others allows them to be used without having to keep them in place. Snap-on strainers can be attached to a pot or pan. This makes straining pasta easier since you wouldn’t have to make sure the strainers stays in place while you drain the water from the pasta. Others can be placed over the sink while you strain pasta. Ultimately, the level of convenience you want can determine the design of the pasta strainer you will buy.
Pasta strainers normally have minimal features. They only have the holes and a handle. But some strainers offer features that make your job easier. For instance, pasta strainers with ergonomic handles provide extra comfort while holding them. Other handles make it easy for you to hold them. The market also has collapsible models to make storage easy,
#5: Price of Pasta Strainer Baskets
The price of pasta strainers depends on the material used for them. They can range from less than $10 to nearly $40. While cheaper models may not be as durable as more expensive models, some inexpensive models may surprise you with their durability. In this case, you should go through the customer reviews and see if the pasta strainer you are eyeing can live up to your expectations.
#6: Customer Reviews
As with anything that you might consider buying, it’s always prudent to check customer reviews first. In this case, we recommend taking a look at the 3-4 star reviews on Amazon because they’ll usually give you the best indiction of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses.
Pasta Strainer FAQs
There are a number of common questions that people have about using colanders. Here are the answers to some of the most common ones:
How do you Drain Pasta with a Strainer?
Draining pasta with a strainer is really easy, but you do have to be careful not to burn yourself. The simplest method is to put the colander or strainer in the sink and then pour the pot of pasta over it. There are also some strainers that you can buy which attach to the pot. Then, you pick up the pot and pour the water into the sink through the colander attachment.
What is a Pasta Insert?
A pasta pot is a simple device that some people use to make cooking pasta easier. It consists of one large pot and then a smaller pot with holes in it. When the pasta is done cooking, you lift the pasta insert out and the water drains into the bigger pot. This can be safer than moving a big pot with boiling water to the sink to drain.
Why you Shouldn’t Drain Pasta in the Sink?
Why you shouldn’t drain pasta in the sink has nothing to do with safety. It’s more due to the fact that starchy salty pasta water is the ultimate emulsifier and thickener for pasta sauce and can help make them smooth, silky and delicious.
Is there a Difference Between a Strainer and a Colander?
A strainer is kind of catchall name for any type of straining device. It’s usually shaped like a bowl and has finer mesh. It’s ideal for rinsing rice, cleaning berries or draining pasta. A colander is typically bowl shaped and has bigger holes. However, the terms colander and strainer are often used interchangeably.
Should You Rinse Pasta?
Pasta should never be rinsed if you’re going to serve it warm. The starch in the cooking water helps the sauce stick to the pasta which makes it all the more delicious! The only time you’ll want to rinse pasta is for a cold dish like pasta salad, or if you’re not going to eat the pasta immediately.
Have your Say about the Best Pasta Strainer and Colander
What’s your pick for the best pasta colander? Is it one of the options from this list or do you have your eye on another one? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other pasta enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2020-04-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API