A complete kitchen set for any home cook must include a paring knife, a chef’s knife, and a bread knife – also known as a serrated knife. With all these blades in your possession, there is no slicing or cutting duty that you can’t perform. A bread knife is well-suited for slicing those ripe tomatoes that seem delicate and the toughest loaves you come across.
Best Bread Knives: Top 8 Picks
Although a chef’s knife can be used, you won’t get the best results and crusty bread may also damage your blade. Therefore, we recommend that you use every knife for their specific job. Here is a tried and tested list of the best bread knives currently available in the market.
#1: Mercer Culinary Bread Knife
- Ergonomic Handle – a combination of Santoprene for Comfort and polypropylene for durability
- Textured finger points provide slip resistance, grip, and safety. Protective finger guard.
- Hand wash knives for blade edge and surface care. Note: It is not recommended to wash your knife in...
- The highest quality Japanese steel allows for easy blade maintenance and rapid sharpening for a...
- One-piece high-carbon, stain-resistant Japanese steel
We kick-off our list with this product from Mercer – a world-renowned brand in the field of cutlery. Its sturdy and stain-free design makes it one of the best in the market. If you are on the lookout for a knife to slice your cakes and loaves, then you’ll like the Mercer Culinary. Let’s go through some of its main features.
- Made from the heavy-duty Japanese stainless steel
- Its handle is made from Santoprene for comfort
- The stainless steel and polypropylene increase the knife’s durability
- The handle also has well-defined finger points to avoid slipping
- Hand-washing is recommended to safeguard its edge
Customer Reviews for Mercer Culinary Bread Knife
“This knife is among the few items that have earned my five-star rating because of the quality. My wife used to complain about every knife she had in her cabinet and I took it to myself that I must get her perfect cutlery. Well, after purchasing the Mercer Culinary bread, she’s enjoyed her work like never before.”
“How sharper can a knife get? I already have stitches in one of my fingers already. I thought this would be like my previous knives but I was in for a surprise. Other than the injuries, I have enjoyed using this knife so far.”
“If you have never got yourself a decent bread knife, then you already know how stressing it can be to slice tough loaves of bread. I finally found the answer to that; a new Mercer Culinary bread knife.”
The Takeaway on the Mercer Culinary Serrated Knife
The reason why this knife takes the top spot on our list is based on its quality. Most customers have the same view about this product and that is quite rare to see. Mercer Culinary bread knife is very sharp and as such, you can use it for other tasks in your kitchen.
This is certainly one of the best bread knives available today and we think that you’ll be as happy with yours as we are with ours. Check it out on Amazon and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#2: Orblue Serrated Bread Knife
- ULTRA-SHARP, CUTS EFFORTLESSLY: The Orblue Serrated Bread Knife blade has an ultra-sharp serrated...
- HIGH QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL: Made with high quality stainless steel and only 2.2 mm and 0.1 mm...
- SLEEK ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The knife was ergonomically designed with careful attention to detail, so...
- ONE PIECE DESIGN: The entire knife is one continuous piece of stainless steel. There is no plastic,...
- NOT JUST FOR BREAD: This serrated knife is so sharp it easily grips and cuts through cake, crusty...
Do you want your kitchen to feel more professional? Make that happen with Orblue bread knife that comes in a sleek and ergonomic design. It is perfectly constructed to be a workhorse of all relevant cutting and slicing tasks in your kitchen. The knife’s 8-inch blade is made of stainless steel and is attached to a 4-inch non-slip handle.
Key Features of the Orblue Serrated Bread Knife
- It is made from stainless steel with thicknesses of 2.2 and 0.1 mm only
- Durable enough to withstand regular usage under severe conditions
- It has a one-piece construction with no attachment screws or plastic
- The ultra-sharp edge makes your cutting tasks feel effortless
- Has a sleek design with a professional appearance
- Can be used on other bakery products like cakes and bagels
—>Read Bread Knife Reviews on Amazon<—
“About a year ago, I bought this knife for my wife but it has become my favourite knife too. Today I can’t slice bread with any other knife in the kitchen because I am used to this functional tool.”
“My mom has arthritis which means she should only use things that do not stress her limbs. This knife cuts with a lot of ease and it has proven to be a perfect tool for my old mom up to date.”
“Although I have been using this knife for only a week, it has brought a lot of changes to my kitchen. I no longer spend ages to slice bread and cut other relevant food; thanks to Orblue.”
Summary for Orblue Bread Knife
Another quality product on our list is Orblue bread knife and it offers more than you can think. Whether you have issues with your hand or just want a better knife, this product is the best for you. The blade is very sharp and is easy to sharpen using traditional methods. You can always try it out and enjoy its features.
Get Yours Today
Do you want to pick up this beautiful bread knife for your home? Click below to go to Amazon to find out more about this one:
#3: Shun Classic 9-inch Bread Knife
- Wide serrations on the Shun 9-inch Bread Knife are razor sharp, cutting through bread without...
- VG-MAX steel is a Shun exclusive formula, with additional cobalt for strength, carbon for...
- The beautiful D-shaped handle, comprised of ebony PakkaWood, is durable and water resistant,...
- An ideal bread slicer, the 9-inch Bread Knife is great for tough challenges like sourdough,...
- Handcrafted in Japan by highly skilled specialists, the knives are present-day manifestations of...
Looking for a nice bread knife crafted in Japan? Well, say no more! This handcrafted piece of cutlery fits your description and has more in store to offer. If you’ve not used a Shun Cutlery product before, then this is an opportunity to enjoy some of the best services. With a comfortable grip, you won’t have to worry about blisters while dealing with tough food materials. Here are some features that make it one of the best in the market.
- 9-inch long with razor-sharp serrations
- A sturdy and strong product built with steel and cobalt
- The addition of carbon material makes it more durable
- Corrosion-resistant due to chromium
- A D-shaped handle for a comfortable grip
- Can cut through sourdough, rye, ciabatta, baguettes, challah, and even pastries
What do People Think About this Japanese Bread Knife?
—>See Some More Reviews on Amazon.com<—
“I have been reading a lot of bread knife reviews lately but I never thought I would actually get a sublime knife at this price range. Even when dealing with crusty loaves, it still feels as easy as cutting through butter. For some reason, I just think that the Japanese knives are better than the rest.”
“From my experience, if you are not careful with this knife you will end up with many injuries. Yes, that is how sharp it is, and I love it. Today I can effortlessly slice and cut anything I want in my kitchen.”
“My previous knife worked just fine but it was quite an issue when dealing with frozen bagels. For that reason, I went and purchased the Shun bread knife and everything about it is just great. Most importantly, the handle fits perfectly in my hand.
The Takeaway on Shun Classic Bread Knife
Knives can be quite dangerous, and that is something you will need to keep in mind once you buy a Shun bread knife. It is extremely sharp that it can be used on any food product regardless of their hardness. Get one today at a very affordable price.
Where Can I Buy Japanese Bread Knives?
If you prefer knives made in Japan, then this top-quality bread knife from Shun should be at the top of your list. It really is almost a work on art and should last you a lifetime. Find out more details about it on Amazon:
Compare Bread Knives
If you want to see the head-to-head comparison of our top picks, then you’ll want to check this chart out below:
#4: Dalstrong Gladiator Bread Knife
- Outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and premium materials....
- Incredibly razor sharp, full-tang, imported high-carbon German steel with a hand polished edge at...
- Award winning bread knife design, with satisfying heft, premium materials and quality feel. Luxury...
- Engineered to perfection at 56+ Rockwell hardness and hand polished to a satin finish. Carefully...
- See why thousands of professional chefs, bakers, bread makers, fruit stand owners and home cooks...
A bread knife has never been so impressive at such a cheap price. With Dalstrong Gladiator, you’ll be getting premium services at a very affordable cost. It is sturdy and highly durable, which makes it ideal for the ever-busy kitchens. Want to know more about this superb product? Read on!
- Made of high-carbon German steel which makes it strong
- Full-tang razor-sharp serrations for effortless slicing
- A hand-polished edge for better services
- A luxurious appearance
- Tripple-riveted handle with a comfortable grip
Online Reviews for the Dalstrong Bread Knife
—>Check out More Reviews on Amazon<—
“I finally had a chance to use my new knife today and the results were just astounding. It cuts through the slices of bread with little to no effort and I can easily make slices of any thickness.”
“It looks like a big bread knife but it really isn’t as heavy as it seems. This was my worry when I first bought it but I realized it is very effective cutting through anything. The resistance that I assumed would occur due to its weight was gone after the first cut.”
“I am a perfectionist and I like most of my work done to precision. This bread knife has helped me through many occasions including when I cut through a 2-millimetre loaf of bread.”
Summary for Dalstrong Bread Knife
Dalstrong is one of the best brands in the world of cutlery. The design and functionality of this bread knife is something that most chefs are always looking to add to their kitchen. Be professional in your work by buying the new Dalstrong bread knife and change how you slice your bread.
This is one of the best serrated knives for the money and you’ll likely love it as much as we do. Click the button to check for the lowest prices on Amazon:
#5: Imarku Pro Serrated Bread Knife
- 🔪HIGH-CARBON MATERIALS: The body of 10 inch bread knife is made of high-carbon stainless steel...
- 🔪SERRATED EDGE DESIGN: This bread knife adops with the serrated design to enhances the cutting...
- 🔪ERGONOMIC WOOD HANDLE：The ergonomic shape of the bread knife handle improves grip comfort in...
- 🔪GREAT GIFT CHOICE: The package comes with flannel inside to hold the 10" bread knife in place in...
- 🔪TRUSTWORTHY: We have a dedicated after-sales service team to deal with the problems after the...
This very versatile bread knife is what you need to make your kitchen set complete. It effortlessly slices through everything big or small from sandwiches to pineapples. Oh, and it is long-lasting, so you can pass it to your kids. The ergonomic and superior design makes it stand out of most bread knives in the market.
- Made of stain and rust-resistant high-carbon steel
- Long enough (10 inches) for any relevant kitchen task
- Sharp serrations that easily slices through the toughest loaves
- Multipurpose: Can be used on baguettes, pastries, cake, bagels, and fruits
- Beautiful design that matches your cabinet and other cutlery
Customer Reviews for the Best Serrated Knife
—>Find out What People are Saying about this Product on Amazon<—
“My 8-inch Imarku knife has been in my kitchen for several months and it is quite unique from the rest. As such, it has already become my go-to kitchen knife because of how easy it is to handle.”
“Apart from its beautiful appearance, this knife feels quite solid and gives me the confidence I need when using it. It is also very sharp and has a comfortable wood handle that looks somewhat fancy.”
“They say never judge a book by its cover but I was right to judge this knife by its packaging. From the outside, it looked very fancy and that is proportional to its functionality.”
Should you Consider Buying Imarku Pro Bread Knife?
The short answer to this question is “Yes.” Purchasing this knife for your kitchen will definitely add something new to your home. One thing is for sure, your food preparation process will be reduced by almost half the total time. Try it out and see the fruits!
Where Can I Find One?
You can easily find this serrated knife online. Head over to Amazon now to check for the best prices on kitchen knives:
#6: Bistro Ceramic Bread Knife
Another top pick for a serrated knife is this one from Bodum.com. If you’re looking for thoughtfully designed kitchen products, then this company should certainly be one of the first places you look. Their bread knife is no exception and although it’s a bit more expensive than some of the other options on this list, it’s certainly worth considering when you take into account the high quality.
- Top quality ceramic knife
- Acid resistant material
- Ergonomic, anti-slip handle
“I’ve bought some other products from this company and decided to pick up this bread knife when my other one broke. No surprise here, but it’s an awesome product that I highly recommend. It’s light in weight, stays sharp for a long time and slices through crusty loaves of French bread like butter.”
“I got so tired of trying to cut bread with crappy knives that I decided to spend a bit more money on this and was hoping it’d work better. It certainly fit the bill and I can cut my sourdough bread easily, even into very thin slices. It’s super sharp and stays that way without any effort from me.”
Do you want to pick up one of the best best knives that’ll last you a lifetime? Head over to the company website to check for the best prices right here:
#7: KitchenAid Stainless Steel Scalloped Bread Knife
Here at Kitchen Gadget Reviews, we love to recommend KitchenAid products. They have thoughtful, smart design and are durable and built to last. Combine that with the top-notch customer support and it’s clear that these products are some of the best in the business.
As far as the KitchenAid bread knife goes, it’s certainly no exception. It is a bit more expensive than some of the cheap serrated knives on this list, but it’s a cut above the rest! Read on to find out all the details you need to know about it.
- 8 inches long
- Brushed stainless steel
- Made from German steel
- Lifetime warranty
- Dishwasher safe, although hand washing is recommended
“I’ve never had an entirely stainless steel knife before but as it turns out, this thing worked really well. The handle had enough texture and shape to it to not slip out of my hand, and of course, it’s far more durable than plastic or whatever some of the other knives I’ve been using are.”
“Super sharp, light to the touch and looks elegant too. I use it for tomatoes too for some great results and like all my other KitchenAid products, it’s built to last a lifetime.”
Buy it Today
If you want to pick up this top-quality knife from KitchenAid, head over the company’s website. You’ll be able to find some great prices by buying directly from the company:
#8: Calphalon 2-Piece Bread Knife Set
If you’re looking for one of the best names in small kitchen appliances and accessories, then you’ll want to keep Calphalon in your mind. We love to recommend their products here at Kitchen Gadget Reviews because they are very high in quality and have such thoughtful designs.
As far as the Calphalon bread knife set goes, it’s certainly no exception to this. They are super sharp, have an ergonomic handle that’s easy to grip, and make a nice addition to any home kitchen. Read on to find out what we like about them.
- Ideal for bagels to baguettes and everything in between
- Includes a 5.5″ bagel/tomato knife and an 8″ bread knife
- Blades made from high-carbon German stainless steel
- Fully forged bolster, blade and tang for extra durability
- Ergonomic handle
- Lifetime warranty
“I decided to go with the Calphalon bread knife because of the lifetime warranty. You can’t really go wrong with that, right? And when they arrived, I was super happy with them. They slice through even the crustiest breads with ease and the tomato knife makes this job so much easier and nicer.”
“I was so tired of crushing breads and bagels that I decided to get this set. Boy, was I happy that I did! They are very sharp and feel good in my hand as they seem to have the perfect combination of weight and balance.”
Get it Now
If you’re looking for some of the best bread knives in the business, then you’ll want to opt for Calphalon. They are beautifully designed and look sleek and stylish in any kitchen. You can easily find the best prices online by clicking the button below:
Top 6 Factors to Consider When Buying a Bread Knife
Before you settle on a bread knife, there are several points to take into consideration. We don’t want you to regret your purchase then start blaming the manufacturer. So, here are some of the factors that we would suggest you keep in mind while shopping for a new bread knife at your favourite store.
Unlike what some people believe, a knife with the fewest serrations possible is the best. Deep and widely-spaced serrations make the slicing process a lot quick and effortless. Therefore, do not select a knife with very many serrations as it can be quite frustrating to use.
#2: Blade Thickness
The thickness of the blade is a very critical aspect as it determines the sturdiness of the knife as well as its penetration. Ensure that you select one with a thin blade but also not flexible. We recommend a maximum thickness of about 2.2 mm.
#3: Design and Material
High-carbon steel is the most commonly used material and rightly so. It not only provides the much-needed strength but is also very durable. As for the construction style, one-piece design is what we would recommend as it ensures that no piece becomes loose and fall off with time.
This is something that most people ignore but it actually plays a role in the mechanics of bread slicing. A longer knife is easier to use as it not only covers a wider area but also reduces the effort needed to slice through some tough materials. Ten inches is ideal for just about any relevant task in your kitchen.
Finally, you have to consider the cost that you will incur in the process. Expensive doesn’t necessarily mean excellent since you can get a functional product at a cheaper price. However, you’ll have to be careful with your selection as some of the low-cost bread knives can be sub-standard.
#6: Customer Reviews
It’s always prudent to check and see what people are saying about a product before dropping some cold, hard cash right? In this case, we recommend taking a close look at the 3-4 star reviews on Amazon because they’ll give you a nice indication of the product’s true strengths and weaknesses.
Have your Say about the Best Bread Knife
What’s your top pick for the best bread knives? Are you opting for a Japanese bread knife, or one of the options from Europe? Or, something not on this list? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other bread enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API