If you want to find out how to make brown rice in a rice cooker, then you’re definitely in the right place. Keep on reading for all the details, tips and tricks you need to know about making this healthy dinner option.
Let’s get into all the details you need to know about cooking brown rice in a rice cooker, including how long it takes and the water to rice ratio.
How to Make Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker for the Family’s Health
It’s common knowledge that brown rice is a lot healthier than regular white rice. Those who have health issues eat only brown rice to help improve their condition. In these days when many people all over the world are becoming more and more health-conscious, brown rice has become permanent in every family meal.
Don’t wait for any illness to occur. As early as now, do some remedies for preemptive measures. If you haven’t thought of considering brown rice in your meals, this is the best time to do so. We’ll teach you how to make brown rice in a rice cooker.
Yes, a high-quality rice cooker is needed to make brown rice. But before we teach you, let us give you a few more information about how you will benefit from eating brown rice. If you eat this regularly, your digestive, cardiovascular, brain and nervous system will function better and more efficiently.
The antioxidant brown rice contains will surely help you treat frequently acquired ailments including high cholesterol, hypertension, skin disorder, stress and mental depression, among others.
If you have family members with other serious medication conditions like obesity, insomnia, diabetes, and even cancer, let them eat brown rice regularly as it is proven effective in addressing the said illnesses.
Why to Eat Brown Rice at Home
In this article, we’re teaching you how to make brown rice in a rice cooker because it is a healthier option. Brown rice is minimal on the glycemic index so it’s beneficial in the reduction of insulin surges. It also helps stabilize the body’s blood sugar level.
Additionally, studies already have it that brown rice is rich in fibre so this is the one that helps the digestive system function better. People who regularly eat brown rice usually don’t experience difficulty in their bowel movements.
Given the benefits, you’ll surely be convinced now eating rice at home is essential. Now we’re ready to teach you how to make brown rice in a rice cooker.
How to Make Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
Let’s get into the specifics of cooking brown rice with a rice cooker.
What you need:
2 cups or 500 ml Brown rice (to make up to 5 servings)
3 cups or 750 ml water
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
Soy sauce (optional)
Here’s how to do it:
- Rinse the rice on cool running water. Do this for about half-a-minute. Rinsing is not a requirement when cooking rice in a rice cooker. However, this is done to make sure the rice is clean.
- Soak the brown rice for about 45 minutes, this time, in hot water. Transfer the brown rice you’re soaking to the rice cooker and add about 3 cups of water to it. The soaking helps soften the brown rice. You can substitute your water with chicken or vegetable broth (with the same amount) for more flavorful brown rice.
- Add the salt if you want. When you’re adding salt, using a wooden spoon, have a quick stir to your rice and salt to equally distribute the taste.
- Switch the rice cooker on and set your time. It’s better if your rice cooker has a special setting for brown rice as you can simply press that option. If the timer is the only setting you have, set it at 30 minutes. Be sure to cover the rice cooker during the entire cooking process. Check it after the set time. If you see the grains still seemingly tough and soupy, cover the cooker again and set the time to add 10 more minutes.
- Let your brown rice stand. When the timer signals it’s time, leave the rice for about 10 more minutes to absorb the remaining water. Leave it covered.
- You may add soy sauce or butter if you want flavor on your brown rice. If not, after the 10-minute allowance in Step No. 5, you’re ready to serve your rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in Rice Cooker FAQs
There are a number of common questions that people have about using one of these appliances to make brown rice. Here are the answers to some of the most popular ones.
How much water do you use to cook brown rice in a rice cooker?
The general ratio for cooking brown rice in a rice cooker is to use 1 cup of rice for every 2 1/4 cups of water. Most cookers have a measurement of some kind on the side of the pot so if in doubt, just follow that and your rice should turn out perfectly!
Does brown rice need more water than white rice in a rice cooker?
Brown rice needs about double the water than white rice does in a rice cooker. The ratio for white is about 1:1 while for brown it’s 1:2 or 1:2.25. It will also take about double the time.
How long does it take to cook brown rice in a rice cooker?
In a rice cooker, you can expect brown rice to take at least 30 minutes and up to 45 minutes. It depends on the kind of rice that you get, specifically short grain or long grain.
Is 1 cup of rice enough for 2 people?
1 cup of rice is certainly enough for 2 people, and could even work for 3 people with a smaller portion. Or, 2 adults and 2 children. This is particularly true for brown rice which is a bit heartier than white.
Should you rinse brown rice?
You could always rinse rice before cooking it to get rid of dust particles and extra starch. Run it under cool running water, drain and then add the correct amount of water for the kind of rice that you’re cooking.
Why does it take so long for brown rice to cook?
It takes longer for brown rice to cook because it’s less processed and still contains the outer layer of bran. This means that the water has to penetrate through that to reach the inside, and this part of the grain also takes longer to cook.
Is there a Rice Cooker that you Recommend?
- Advanced induction heating technology cooks from an alternating electric current around the entire...
- 12 preset menu settings from plain/white rice, premium cooking with extra soaking time to bring out...
- New Express-Limited Cups setting can cook limited amount of white rice in 17 minutes. This menu...
- Programmable 24-hour delay cooking start to set timer on when you want the rice to be ready. 24-hour...
- 1.5-mm spherical ceramic inner pot with non-stick coating and side handles.
If you have yet to buy a rice cooker, you might want to consider the Tiger Corporation Rice Cooker. This has a special setting for cooking brown rice. If you don’t have any background in cooking or not confident to cook at all, this rice cooker is for you.
You can leave it while your brown rice is cooking as this product has an automatic function that switches to ‘keep warm’ mode when the cooking is done and complete.
Do you want to pick up one of the best rice cooker options for brown rice? Then you’ll want to head over to Amazon to check availability and for the lowest prices right here. Plus, don’t forget to see if this product is eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
Have your Say about How to Make Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
Do you have any tips or tricks for making fluffy and delicious brown rice? Leave a comment below and let us know. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other brown rice enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API