If you’re a serious baker, then you’ll know that the things you make are only as good as the ingredients you use. And in this case, flour is one of the most overlooked ingredients. That’s where a nice grain mill comes in.
Sure, you can buy it already milled in bags from the store. But, if you’ve never tried doing it yourself, it’s super easy with a grain grinder and makes a huge difference!
It’s similar to black pepper. You can buy it pre-ground of course, but by the time if gets to your house, a lot of the flavour is gone. A simple thing like grinding your own is a game-changer in terms of how delicious your food is.
With a home grain mill, you can not only grind flour but a ton of other cereals and legumes as well. Pump up the nutrition of what you eat with a flour grinder!
Before we get to our top picks, here’s a sneak peek at some of our favourite options:
Top 7 Grain Mills
Without further ado, here’s more information about our top picks for grain grinders. Keep on reading!
#1: Wondermill Electric Grain Mill
- NO OVERHEATING; HEALTHIER CHOICE - This electric flour mill with stainless steel milling heads lets...
- MADE TOUGH and HEAVY DUTY - Built to mill large quantities of flour in minutes, not hours; The...
- QUICK, EASY and VIRTUALLY DUST-FREE - With only 5 parts and no complicated settings or switches,...
- HIGHLY CERTIFIED; LIFETIME WARRANTY- Have peace of mind with our certifications and high quality...
- CAN GRIND WIDE VARIERTY OF DRY GRAINS/WHEAT - The WonderMill electric grain mill is fast and gives...
Powered by a powerful 1250 Watt motor, this thing grinds up grains quickly and easily, and is much faster than most of their competitors. But, the price is still quite reasonable, which makes this one of the best options for a home grain mill. And, it actually wouldn’t be out of place in a small commercial kitchen either!
We LOVE To recommend products from companies who stand behind what they sell. And Wondermill certainly is up to the challenge, as they offer a lifetime warranty on their products. They’re built tough to last a lifetime and you shouldn’t anticipate having problems with this machine.
- 1250 watts of power
- Ideal for making gluten-free flours
- LG electrics motor
- Can grind up to 100 pounds in 1 hour without overheating
- Super-fine setting
- Meets all certification standards in North America or Europe
- Simple and with only five basic parts, it’s very durable and will last you years
- Almost dust-free
- Easy clean
- Lifetime warranty
- Designed for drier grains only
“I couldn’t afford a super-expensive mill, so went for this one that’s pretty reasonably priced after a lot of research. The results? I’m super happy! It’s a beast and can grind up a TON of flour in a short amount of time, without dust, a ton of noise or heat. Kind of the the ultimate grinder for my needs.”
“You can process a ton of product in a short amount of time and it’s simple and easy to clean as well. The design is obviously quite good and the power is evident from the first time you turn it on.”
Do you want to learn more about this popular electric grain mill from Wondermill? Click the button to find out more on Amazon and also to see the best prices:
Wonder Mill Electric Grain Grinder in Action
Do you want to see how well this mill works? Then you’ll want to check out this short video below for all the details you need to know:
#2: Victorio Kitchen Products Adjustable Hand Operated Grain Mill
- VERSATILE: Grinds wheat, rice, oats, barley, quinoa and other small, hard dry grains
- DURABLE MILLING CONE: Cone-shaped stainless steel grinding burrs are self-aligning and precision...
- COARSE TO FINE: Easily adjust with the front dial from coarse for cracked grains to fine for bread...
- FRESH HOMEMADE: Make your own delicious whole grain breads, cereals and other bakery items and save...
- COMPACT: Stores easily in a drawer or cupboard and is always available when you need it
Our next pick for the best home grain mill is this hand operated one that’s fully adjustable for a number of coarseness settings. There are a ton of things you’ll love about it—keep on reading to find out more.
- Ideal for wheat, rice, quinoa and other small grains
- Recommend for dry grains only
- Very durable stainless steel grinding burrs that are self-aligning and precision machined
- Adjustable from coarse to fine with an adjustable knob
- Attaches via clamp to a countertop of table (up to 2 inches thick)
- Compact and easy to store when not in use
- Holds up to 2 cups of grain
“I decided to give this inexpensive option a go before buying one of the electric grain grinders. To my surprise, this thing works really well and I never ended up upgrading! It gets the job done, albeit a little bit slowly but if you don’t do huge batches at a time, you’ll probably find that it’s not really a big deal.”
“I use this thing almost daily to grind rice flour for my GF sourdough bread. It’s just so much cheaper than buying ground rice flour from the store, or the Gluten-free bread. It’s simple, but well-designed and easy to use.”
“Had a few problems getting it to stay clamped to my countertop. But, I switched to my kitchen table and the problem was solved. If you’re struggling with it, try another surface to see if that works better for you.”
Get yours Today
Do you want to pick up your countertop grain mill today? Then you’ll need to head over to Amazon to check it out for yourself. And of course, don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
Compare the Best Grinding Mills for Home Use
Do you want to see the head-to-head comparison of some of the top picks for wheat grinders for home use? Here are the top options:
#3: KitchenAid Grain Mill Attachment
- Grinds Low-Moisture Grains (Wheat, Corn, Rice, Etc.) From Coarse to Fine
If you already have a KitchenAid Mixer, then you’ll definitely want to consider the grain mill attachment that goes with it. It’s a nice way to get a very powerful flour grinder at quite a reasonable price. Here are just a few of the reasons why we like it so much.
- Fits all standard KitchenAid mixers
- Designed to easily grind low-moisture grains such as wheat, corn, oats, rice, rye and buckwheat
- 12 settings from coarse or cracked to fine grind
- All metal grinding mechanism
- Includes a cleaning brush
What do People Think About It?
“Works really well and a nice price if you already own the mixer. If you don’t, I’d probably opt for one of the specialized wheat grinders that can handle some of the stickier things because they’re a bit more versatile.”
“Can run pretty hot if you’re doing large batches particularly with the fine setting, so beware! I ran mine in five cup batches to keep my precious mixer safe.”
“Not bad for the price, but can take a long time to get really fine flour. For the price? I’ll just use my Vitamix thank you very much!”
Where Can I Buy It?
Does it sound like exactly what you need for your home kitchen? You can check out more details at the company website, and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping:
#4: Country Living Hand Grain Mill
- Made of solid, cast aircraft aluminum - Made entirely in the USA
- Food Grade Powder Coating
- Double Sealed Industrial Grade Ball Bearings
- Cast Iron V-Groove Flywheel / High Carbon Steel Grinding Plates
- Adjustable - From Cracked Grain to Cake Flour - LIFETIME WARRANTY
This is one of the more expensive options on our list, but if you can afford it, then we strongly recommend it. It’s a sleek, stylish option for those that prefer to mill their grains by hand. Best of all, it’s backed by a lifetime warranty so despite the high price, you’ll get a ton of value out of it with decades of use.
- Made of super solid aluminum with a food grade coating
- Made in the USA
- Double-sealed industrial ball bearings
- Cast-iron flywheel
- High carbon steel grinding plates
- Adjustable from very coarse to cake flour
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- Not recommend for moist or oily seeds
What are People Saying About It?
“I decided to spend a bit more money on a country living mill grinder and I’m so, so happy that I did. It’s obvious that this thing is built to last a lifetime. It works super well and is easy to churn through a ton of wheat berries in short order.”
“After 9 years, this thing is still performing perfectly for me. I’ve used it make literally hundreds of loaves of bread. The only way I can describe it is that it’s built like a tank!”
“At my house, we argue about who can turn the crank! It’s a fun tool to have in your kitchen and a cheap way to make some healthier foods.”
Shop Now for the Country Living Grain Mill
Do you want to find out more about this top-notch mill grinder? Head on over to Amazon.com to do that, and don’t forget to check for the lowest prices:
#5: Wonder Junior Deluxe Hand Grain Mill for Oily Foods
- FASTER and MORE EFFICIENT THAN OTHER HAND MILLS - The Wonder Junior Deluxe hand crank grain mill can...
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION; LIFETIME DURABILITY - Built to last a lifetime of use with a heavy duty...
- VERSATILE and CONVENIENT - With a stone burr set and a feed system for all types of grain (dry,...
- STRONG TABLE MOUNT; STAINLESS STEEL and STONE BURRS SETS - This Deluxe hand grain grinder comes with...
- EASY TO INSTALL and OPERATE - This flour maker grinding machine is specially designed to eliminate...
If you’re looking for an option that can handle oily or moist foods, then this Wondermill Junior is the one for you! It comes with a Masa/Nut butter auger that works extremely well at making things like homemade almond butter or peanut butter.
- Can handle oily foods
- Hand crank that works very quickly and easily
- Can grind up 1.25 cups of flour in 1 minute
- BPA free
- Light in weight, but extremely durable
- Easy to clean
- Stone burr set, along with a stainless steel one (which one you choose depends on the food you’re grinding)
- Can be used for making tortillas and tamales (check out a tortilla maker)
- Very strong table or countertop mount
- Able to mill chocolate or cocoa beans
- Locking adjustment knob from coarse to ultra-fine
- Can be turned into an electric stone grain mill with a drill attachment (sold separately)
- Lifetime warranty
“Hard to find such a versatile kitchen grain mill for less than $500 bucks, but this was well under that. And it works super well too for grinding just about anything you could imagine. It’s tough and will obviously last for years.”
“I’ve used it for homemade cashew butter, as well as for grinding my own rice flour and it works equally well for both things. Awesome, and I can’t wait to try out more things with it. It’s well designed and requires a surprisingly little amount of force.”
“Takes a wee bit of muscle to grind certain things, but that’s to be expected with a hand crank, as opposed to electric grain mill. I don’t mind getting a bit more exercise and we take turns at our house. This thing is awesome and I can’t say enough good stuff about it, especially when you consider the super reasonable price.”
Get Yours Today
Do you want to pick up this extremely versatile grain and nut grinder? You can head over to Amazon to check now for the best prices:
#6: Hand Crank Grain Grinder
- 【Hand Crank Grain Mill】: Use this grinder to make fresh and healthy milled grain products in...
- 【Table Clamp Grain Grinder for Easy Using】: Features with clamp-on design, easy to attach to...
- 【Sturdy and Durable】: Made of high quality cast iron, this manual corn grain grinder is sturdy...
- 【Wide Application】: Hand crank grind mill grinder is widely used for grinding corn, wheat, oat,...
- 【Customer Guarantee】: If you have any problem about the manual corn grain grinder, please feel...
If you’re looking for a simple flour mill for home use, this hand crank one should be at the top of your list. It’s cheaper than many of the other options on this list because it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles. However, it’s simple in terms of design and just works well and for most people, that’s ultimately the most important thing. Read on to find out why we like it so much.
Important Features for this Hand Grain Grinder
- Sturdy table clamp
- Made from cast iron
- Ideal for wheat but can be used for a variety of other grains
- Excellent customer service
“Super easy to put together and also use and it seems durable enough so far. I love the fact that I’m using my own power instead of plugging something into the wall. I use it grind my own wheat to make bread and the difference is huge!”
“When I ordered this, I had a small problem with it and the company fixed it quickly and without any hassle. For sure I’d recommend this product to anyone looking to hand grind their own wheat, spices or other grains.”
Buy this Manual Wheat Grinder Today
This hand wheat grinder is certainly one of our top choices for people who prefer to not use electricity to do this task. It’s ideal for preppers who don’t want to rely on power all the time! It’s also just a cool way to grind up wheat, corn, barley or other grains. Check it out on Amazon today:
#7: NutriMill Classic Wheat Grinder
- Advanced technology: Improved texture control, stronger milling heads, unique Force Flow sound/air...
- Protects nutrients: The NutriMill Classic keeps your flour at temperatures typically about 118°...
- Powerful 10 amp, 1-3/4 hp motor quickly produces your choice of fine, medium or coarse flour. Grind...
- Stainles steel impact grain milling heads provide a 400% range of adjustment from fine to coarse...
- Includes Grain Hopper Extension to increase capacty, Air Filter, and Separator Cup. Limited lifetime...
If you’re looking for a grinding mill for home use, this one from NutriMill makes a great choice. Not only does it have a powerful motor but it also has a large capacity and a powerful grinding mechanism. It’s ideal for weather, corn, and a whole host of other grains.
- Large, 20-cup bowl capacity
- The improved design makes it 50% quieter than previous models
- Keeps it at the ideal temperature to protect the nutrients in your wheat and other grains
- Powerful motor grinds up to 5 cups of flour per minute
- Stainless steel milling heads
- Includes everything you need to get started with milling grains, including wheat at home
“In my opinion, this is probably the best flour mill for use at home. It has a large capacity and burns through grains in no time at all. Plus, it’s not ridiculously loud like the previous grain mill that I had.”
“The perfect wheat grinder for home use. It works well, has a powerful motor and sharp steel grinding heads. Overall, I’m very happy with it and have no complaints at all.”
Do you want to pick up one of the best flour mills for home use? Head over to Amazon to learn more about this very affordable option:
How to Choose a Home Grain Mill
There are a number of important factors to consider when choosing the perfect flour grinder for your home. Here are some of the key ones.
Hand Crank or Electric
There are two main styles here to choose from: the hand crank ones, and then the electric ones. If off-grid living is your thing, then you’ll certainly want to go with a hand crank grinder. They do require more time and some muscle power, but can be quite rewarding doing something without electricity that most people just take for granted!
On the other hand, electric grain mills are super easy to use at just the touch of a button. They do have moving parts though which require maintenance and can break more easily than the hand-crank ones.
Type of Burr/Milling Mechanism
Every mill has some sort of mechanism for grinding the seeds which is called a burr. They crush, grind, shred, etc. They make different textures from very coarse to fine. Some are able to handle oily or moisture-filled foods while others are not. Some products come with changeable burrs so that you can adapt it to whatever food you want to grind.
There are two main types: burr mills and impact mills. The first, burr mills have two grinding plates that are either made from metal or stone. The fixed one is called the bedstone while the movable one is called the runner. You feed the grain through and these two plates move against each other.
The second type is the impact mills which are useful for very fine pastry flour for example. You can only find electric versions of these. In place of burrs, there are two stainless steel plates with concentric rings or teeth. They spin quickly and quite literally burst the kernels into smaller and smaller pieces. They cannot be used for oily or wet foods.
Some people who grind their own grains think that heat damages the quality of their finished product. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence, but not much in way of science to support this. However, it may be something for you to consider.
In this case, you’d probably want to opt for a hand-crank mill that produces less heat. Or, a more expensive, professional-grade electric one. The cheaper electric ones tend to run the hottest.
As with any kitchen appliance that you might consider buying, customer reviews are important. Our top place for them is on Amazon, in particular the 3-4 star ones. You’ll find that they give the best indication of a product’s true strengths and weaknesses, so we recommend checking them carefully.
Of course, price is a major factor in most things we buy. For a wheat grinder, you can find them as cheap as $40 or so, and then up to $1000 for the commercial-grade ones. We generally recommend sticking in the $100-200 range. They work well, have sharp blades and are durable enough to last for years.
Unless you’re going into production or own a bakery, there is certainly no need to spend close to $100o for something like this.
Why Grind Your Own Grains at Home?
There are a number of important reasons why you might consider grinding wheat and other grains are home. Here are a few of them:
- It’s often cheaper than buying pre-ground grains
- Whole grains last longer than pre-ground ones
- It’s healthier because it contains all parts of the kernel
- They taste delicious!
- There are no hidden additives to your food
- It’s a unique and fun experience.
- Ideal for those that value sustainability and self-sufficiency
Where Can I Buy Whole Grains?
If you go to your local supermarket, chances are that there won’t be many grains that aren’t already ground. However, a nice place to look is at your local health food store because they may have a far bigger selection of whole grains.
You can also find them online. Bob’s Red Mill is a great source, along with Amazon:
How Can I Store My Grains?
Any grain loves a cool, dry place to live! Mainly, you’ll want to keep them safe from heat, air and moisture, whether ground or not. You’ll want to consider investing in some glass, ceramic, metal or plastic containers with lids for this purpose. An airtight seal is important!
The shelf life for ground products is around 2-3 months for most grains, but if you seal it and keep it in the freezer, then you can extend that to about 6 months.
On the other hand, for products that aren’t ground, you can keep them for about 6 months in the cupboard and up to a year in your freezer.
Have your say about the Best Flour Grinders
What are your thoughts about the best grain mill for home use? Is it one from this list, or do you have a recommendation for another one? Leave a comment below and let us know. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other home milling enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API