Do you love sandwiches? Who doesn’t, right? They’re delicious. Why not take your home sandwich making to the next level by grilling them on a panini maker.
Keep on reading our guide for how to make a panini sandwich at home.
Panini Recipe: The Basics
It’s easier than ever to make a delicious panini at home. Gone are the days when you could only get these grilled sandwiches at a coffee shop or restaurant. The sky is the limit in terms of what kind of panini you can make, but there are a few basic things you should keep in mind. Keep reading for a very basic panini recipe that even a child could make!
Here’s a basic panini recipe, detailed in a few simple steps. Anyone can do it!
How to Make a Panini Sandwich
1. Start with a Panini Press. Check out this list of top 5 panini presses for help in choosing the best one for you.
2. Choose your bread. I like to use ciabatta, but you can use things like sourdough, focaccia, or even a baguette. Just remember to put the rounded side facing down on the grill if you use something like a baguette so it will grill more evenly.
3. Spread olive oil on the inside of your bread. Just a thin layer will do so use a brush.
4. Add 2 slices of cheese. Put one on the top and one on the bottom. This helps your sandwich glue together when grilling. A common mistake is using too much cheese, in which case the sandwich turns out to be too gooey and messy to eat.
5. Add some fillings. Meat, veggies, herbs, etc. One of my favourite panini recipes is a very simple vegetarian one: fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and fresh basil. It’s an Italian classic! If you’re stuck for ideas, why not go with a Pizza Panini?
7. Add greens after cooking. If you want to add greens like spinach or lettuce, be sure to do it after cooking so they don’t get wilted. One of my favourite panini recipes is a BLT: sharp cheddar, pre-cooked bacon, tomato. Then, add some green leafy lettuce after it’s cooked. Kids will love this one for sure.
8. Pre-heat the panini press. Put your sandwich in and follow the instructions that came with your unit! Some sandwich makers come with only one heat setting, while others you can select. If this is the case for you, you may have to spend some time finding what works best for you. Some like lightly toasted, while others are all about the grill marks for example.
9. Cut with a sharp knife and enjoy! I hope you find this basic panini recipe useful in cooking your first delicious panini. At my house, we generally eat Panini sandwiches with a simple green salad.
Do you Have Any Recommendations for a Panini Press?
You can also compare out top picks in this handy comparison chart below:
How to Make a Grilled Panini Sandwich
Have Your Say about Making Grilled Sandwiches
Do you have any tips or tricks for making delicious toasted sandwiches in panini press? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.