Do you want to make some delicious Cavatelli pasta at home? It’s certainly not that easy to do without a top-quality Cavatelli maker. That’s where we come in. We’ve chosen our top picks for you. Before we get into all the details, here’s a sneak peak at some of our favourites:
What is Cavatelli?
It’s an Italian comfort food and is probably one of the most delicious pastas you’ll ever put into your mouth. It’s made from a pasta dough, without eggs using a Cavatelli Maker. This makes it quite thick and chewy and various kinds of sauces can easily stick to it. In Italian, the name literally means “little hollows.”
The most common way to eat these small shells that look like mini hot dog buns is with garlic, broccoli, or broccoli rabe. One common variation is to add some ricotta cheese to the dough which changes the flavour and texture of thm.
What makes Cavatelli pasta so special? It’s not that easy to make, and is really only possible to do in small quantities. While you can do it by hand, this will take basically forever and it’s certainly not recommended. So, stay tuned for our favourite machines that’ll help you get the job done more quickly and easily.
Best Cavatelli Maker
Here are the top picks to make this delicious pasta at home:
- Fantes Cavatelli Maker (easiest to use)
- Paderno Word Cuisine Cavatelli Pasta Maker (very affordable)
- Cucina Pro Cavatelli Maker (excellent user reviews)
- Cuisinox Cavatelli Board (the traditional way)
- Electric Cavatelli Maker from CucinaPro (best fully automated machine)
- BakeDeco Cavatelli Maker
- Imperia Gnocchi and Cavatelli Machine
Top 7 Cavatelli Machines
Now, let’s get into all the details you need to know about the best Cavatelli makers on the market today. Are you ready? Keep on reading!
#1: Fantes Cavatelli Maker
- Fantes Cousin Elisa's Cavatelli Maker easily forms and cuts authentic homemade cavatelli with the...
- Made from non-stick cast aluminum; Prop 65 compliant; built-in clamp secures to countertops (up to...
- Quickly makes authentic cavatelli with deep ridges to pick up and hold delicious sauce;...
- Roll out pasta dough, cut into strips, and feed into the machine as directed, turn the handle with a...
- Non-stick for easy cleanup; includes Cavatelli Maker, clamp, complete instructions, and Fante's...
If you want to make yourself some delicious, homemade Italian pasta at home, then this machine should do the trick. It makes the perfect size and shape of Cavatelli that will hold the sauce well, and result in a delicious treat for your family and friends.
The company behind this machine has been around for more than 100 years and they certainly know what they’re doing when it comes to homemade pastas. Here are just a few of the things you’ll love about it.
Key Features of the Best Cavatelli Maker
- Variety of other attachments are compatible with this machine (garganelli, lasagna, gnocchi, ravioli)
- Forms and cuts ideal shape and texture of pasta within seconds
- Made from durable aluminum
- Clamp is compatible with most countertops
- Make uniform sized pasta easily for a better end result
- Deep well in the Cavatelli holds pasta very well
- Requires making the dough, cutting it into strips and then feeding it through the machine while turning the hand crank
- Includes instruction and family recipe book
- Hand wash only in warm, soapy water
- The highest user ratings among all products in this category
- Currently “Amazon’s Choice for Cavatelli Makers”
User Reviews for the Fantes Pasta Machine
“Takes a few times to get the hang of it, but it works really well overall. A few tips though: Make sure your dough isn’t too wet, and take your time when feeding it through the machine. Speed comes with experience.”
“Works well as making all the various pasta shapes (I bought a few of the boards and attachments with this thing). My family fights to take turns cranking the handle—it’s so fun and then out pop these really cute Cavatelli! So delicious and we’ve now made it a Friday night tradition at our house.”
“Does a nice job, but it’s important to use the right recipe so that the texture is perfect. Use the one in the included recipe book and that’s a nice place to start. Just be sure to get yourself a nice collapsible strainer and your pasta making operation will be complete!”
Shop Now for this Cavatelli Machine
Does it sound like the right Cavatelli maker for your needs? Then you’ll certainly want to check it out over on Amazon. Click the button below to find the best prices and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
Compare Cavatelli Makers
If you want to see the head-to-head comparison of some of our top options, then you’ll want to take a close look at this comparison chart below:
#2: Paderno Word Cuisine Cavatelli Pasta Maker
- This intelligently designed kitchen tool saves time as one can easily and quickly prepare large...
- The Paderno pasta maker is made of coated aluminum and features stainless steel blades as well as...
- The kitchen gadget is very robust & durable and can be mounted to any counter- or table-top with...
- Additionally, the Paderno noodle maker is extremely easy to clean due to its non-stick finish and...
- Items delivered: 1 x Cavatelli Machine by Paderno World Cuisine
Paderno has been around for almost 100 years now, selling top-quality pasta machines this whole time. They are certainly a name to be trusted in the world of homemade pasta. Check out some of the reasons why we like this Italian Cavatelli maker so much.
- Easy to use right out of the box
- Made from aluminum
- Stainless steel cutting blades
- ABS rollers roll well
- Durable, sturdy construction
- Easy to clean because of the non-stick surface
- Hand wash only (not in the dishwasher)
- Can prepare large amounts of perfectly shaped Cavatelli quickly and easily
- Easily mounted to any countertop or table
“Easy to clean and use, plus makes a variety of pastas really easily. Probably the best value pasta maker out there in my opinion.”
“Sure beats making Cavatelli by hand which can take forever! It’s a simple machine that just works well. Plus, it’s super easy to clean in just a few seconds as well. Make sure you get the right consistency with the dough though—not too sticky for the best results.”
“This cavatelli pasta maker is a little bit difficult to turn and the dough got stuck on the rollers sometimes. Not sure what went wrong…but hope my experience is better next time. I hope that with a bit more practice, I’ll figure it out. That’s what some of the reviewers mentioned—to not give up on it too quickly.”
Buy Yours Today
Does it sound like the right machine to make Cavatelli at home? Then you’ll definitely want to find out more about it on Amazon. Take a look right here for the lowest prices:
#3: Cucina Pro Cavatelli Maker
- Cavatelli Maker- Authentic large and small gnocchi, pasta seashells and more
- Cavatelli Machine- Includes Easy Clean Rollers
- Original design includes delicious recipes
- Easy to clean and easy to use
- Making authentic homemade Italian food is a breeze
Cucina Pro has been around for decades now and some of their pasta machines have been known to last that long as well! Check out our review of their hand crank machine right here: Cucina Pro Pasta Machine Review. This Cavatelli machine is no exception and it’s made to the same exacting standards as all their other Italian cookware.
Here are just a few of the reasons why you might want to consider it.
Key Features of the CucinaPro Cavatelli Machine
- Includes instructions and some recipes for getting started
- Hand crank is reversed so it’ll fit into the box. It’s easy to change the other way around though.
- Easily makes seashells, and gnocchi as well (large and small)
- Made from high-quality stainless steel
- Very easy to use
- Don’t forget to prepare the dough a bit stiffer than you might be used to
- Easy to clean
- Takes up a small footprint for storage
- Some people wish that the rollers were wood instead of plastic
What do People Think About It?
“Works really well—I went with a Ricotta dough the first time and then a regular one the second time. You’ll read some negative reviews about this product, but they mostly seem to be from people who are inexperienced with making homemade pasta and not really a fault of the machine. Cucina Pro knows what they’re doing with pasta makers!”
“Nice unit for a great price. My only small complaint is that my counters are too thick to clamp it to and I had to use my kitchen table. Other than that? Makes some delicious shells, gnocchi and cavatelli.”
“Works as expected and you really can’t beat the price. I’m just wondering about the durability of the plastic rollers, but for the price? I shouldn’t really complain. It’ll still be a value even if only lasts for 3 years.”
Where Can I Find this Cucina Pasta Maker?
Does it sound like the right option for making Cavatelli at home? Then you’ll want to head over to Amazon to find out more about it:
#4: Cuisinox Cavatelli Board
- Made of beech wood
- 8 x 5 x 1 Inch
- Very light board
- Can be used to make grooved butter balls
- Ideal for Gnocchi and Cavatelli
If you want to go old school and forget the machines, then you’ll definitely want to consider trying out this gnocchi and cavatelli board. Basically, it’s a grooved wooden board that allows you to make these delicious pasta easily. Sure, it takes a bit longer than using a machine, but you’re doing it the traditional way!
- Made from beech wood
- Light in weight
- Also useful for making grooved butter balls
- Creates the perfect ridges in pasta to soak up sauce
Reviews of this Cavatelli Board
“This cavatelli maker works really well, is light and also super easy to clean. I end up pulling this out a surprising few times a month for various purposes! I honestly didn’t think I’d use it that much but it’s way easier to use than I thought it would be.”
“It’s really fun to make gnocchi with this thing, and like advertised, the grooves really do help soak up the sauce. Next up: cavatelli and experimenting with some different kinds of sauce. I’d love to try the traditional broccoli, oil and garlic one.”
“My husband is a professional chef, so I picked this up for his birthday. He said it’s a nice quality and perfect for making homemade pasta with ridges. It’s super fun to make homemade pasta in the traditional way and it’s awesome to go back to basics with this thing”
Where Can I Buy It?
Do you want to find out more about this vintage pasta making tool? Find out more about it right here by clicking the button below and you’ll also be able to check for the lowest prices:
#5: Electric Cavatelli Maker from CucinaPro
- Electric Pasta Maker- Made In Italy of Heavy Duty 18-10 Stainless Steel
- Pasta Machine by Imperia- Non-stick coating guarantess safe and clean pasta always
- 2 built in cutters for tagliatelle and fettuccine
- Built in motor makes pasta quicker and easier
- 6 thickness settings
If you’re looking for an electric pasta machine that can make Cavatelli and does most of the work for you, then you’ll definitely want to consider this one from Cucina Pro. Like their hand-crank pasta machines, this electric one is made to the same exacting standards and does a great job at making some delicious pasta for the whole family to enjoy.
Features of the Cucina Pro Cavatelli Maker
- Made in Italy
- Stainless steel construction that makes it very durable
- Made by Imperia
- Non-stick coating for easy clean-up
- 2 built-in cutters, but various other attachments (Cavatelli requires the Milleghocchi attachment)
- Built-in motor means no hand cranking and you can make a large amount of pasta very quickly
- Various thickness settings
- 85 watts of power
Customer Reviews for this Electric Cavatelli Machine
“Okay, so it may seem a little bit expensive, but let me tell you—it’s oh so worth it! First of all, it’s a standalone appliance that doesn’t require a clamp to attach it to the countertop. Secondly, it turns out a ton of delicious pasta in just a minute or two with precisely no effort from me! Awesome and I find myself using this thing at least a couple of times a week.”
“One and done machine that does the job well. The motor is powerful enough, even for thicker doughs and I love the various attachments to make different kinds of pasta.”
“I’ve had various pasta makers over the years the problem is usually the same—the plastic gears strip with time and it doesn’t turn well. This one seems far more durable though and the quality is obvious from the second you take this thing out of the box.”
Shop Online Now
Do you want the machine to do all the hard work for you? Then you’ll definitely need to consider this electric cavatelli machine. Click the button below to find the best prices and don’t forget to see if this product is eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#6: BakeDeco Cavatelli Maker
- Main part of body heavy duty aluminum with gray coating comparable with the nonstick coating on...
- Classic wooden rollers smooth but with enough natural texture to grip your pasta and keep it rolling...
- Easy-turn crank handle keeps turning action constant, and easy-turn clamp-adjusting rod tightens...
- Cavatelli maker fits onto thin and thick table edges, with rod adjusting clamp opening from zero...
- Overall dimensions (with rollers facing you) 4-9/16 inch left to right x 5-5/8 inch front to back...
If you want to know how to make cavatelli pasta, then look no further than this machine from BakeDeco! It’s another top option for delicious homemade cavatelli the easier way. Keep on reading to find out more details about why you might want to consider this option.
- Made of heavy-duty aluminium
- Smooth wooden rollers with a bit of texture to keep the dough moving through them
- Easy turn handle
- The clamp is easy to adjust
- Can fit on a variety of tables of different widths
- Can make both large and small shells, depending on the thickness of the dough
“I always wondered how to make cavatelli and then I ran across this machine on Amazon. I bought it on a whim but I’m so, so happy that I did. It’s super easy to make these unique pasta shapes quickly and easily.”
“It seems super sturdy and like it’ll last a lifetime. It’s easy to set-up, use and then clean afterwards. No problems at all with it.”
Where Can I Find It?
Do you want to pick up one of the best cavatelli makers for your home kitchen? It’s easy to find this product on Amazon so check now for availability and the lowest prices:
#7: Imperia Gnocchi and Cavatelli Machine
If you’re looking for one of the most trusted names in homemade pasta, then Imperia is certainly one of the best in the business. It’s a top product to consider and we love the fact that it can make both cavatelli and gnocchi quickly and easily. Keep on reading to find out why you might want to consider this item over the others.
- Makes both gnocchi and cavatelli pasta shapes
- Removable knob
- Adjustable thickness settings
- Durable steel table clamp
- Recipe book included
What do People Think About It?
“Really nice machine. The quality is evident from the second you take this thing out of the box.”
“A dream to use and makes a variety of pasta shapes. We like to mix it up and use some different types of dough for a new experience each time with it. The kids love rolling this thing and have so much fun doing it.”
This is certainly one of the top cavatelli makers to consider picking up. Click the button below to head over to Amazon to find the best prices and to check for availability:
There are a few common questions that people have about all things cavatelli. Here are the answers to what you need to know about one of the favourite types of pasta in Italy.
How to Make Cavatelli?
Do you want to learn more about making this popular Italian pasta at home? Then you’ll want to check out this video for all the details you need to know about How to Make Cavatelli Pasta:
Where Can I Buy Cavatelli Pasta?
In reality, this kind of pasta is not that easy to find in stores. You may have a bit of luck by going to your favourite Italian deli or supermarket and enquiring there, but they’ll probably just tell you to make it at home yourself!
That’s actually our best advice too. We recommend getting one of these machines and then making it yourself. With a little bit of practice, it’s actually not that difficult.
Beyond that, you can sometimes buy it online, either from Amazon or Italian food suppliers. Here’s one source that ships frozen. Just be aware that you can’t cancel your order:
- Ships frozen, CANNOT be cancelled after being processed.
How Can I Make Hollow Pasta?
Okay, so shells aren’t your style? And, you want to get beyond the boring flat noodles that you can easily make with a pasta machine? No problem! All you need is a pasta extruder machine that forces dough through a die into the shape that you want.
If you want to see our top picks, then check this out:
What’s the Difference Between Gnocchi and Cavatelli?
Gnocchi are plump rich dumplings that are made primarily with potatoes but may have other ingredients like sundried tomatoes, spinach, eggs or cheese. The difference between them and cavatelli is that cavatelli have no eggs and a firmer texture, as well as slightly different shape.
What Kind of Pasta is Cavatelli?
Cavatell is a small shell pasta made from wheat flour that kind of resembles a mini hot dog bun. It has a similar shape to Conghiglie, but it a little bit longer. It’s ideal for chunk sauce as the opening can keep all the little bits in place.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Cavatelli?
It takes between 5 and 7 minutes to cook Cavatelli. To cook, add it to boiling, salted water and cook for 5-7 minutes, testing to achieve your desired tenderness. Be sure to stir to prevent sticking. Serve with your favourite sauce (chunky sauces work well).
How do You Cook Frozen Cavatelli?
You can freeze homemade Cavatelli pasta if you have extra. To cook them from frozen, throw them into a boiling pot of salted water. When they’re done, they’ll float to the surface. It takes between 3-8 minutes depending on the size and if you’ve allowed them to thaw at all.
What does Cavatelli Mean in Italian?
In Italian, cavatelli means a type of pasta that is a shell that looks kind of like a miniature hot dog bun. It’s similar to Casarecce, but is shorter. The name origin comes from the Latin word, cavare which means to hollow out.
What Kind of Sauce Pairs with Cavatelli?
Some good sauce combinations for cavatelli include light, simple veggie sauces like marinara since it’s a relatively small noodle. Traditionally, cavatelli is matched with a broccoli, garlic and oil sauce.
Is Cavatelli Healthy?
In moderation, cavatelli can be part of a healthy diet. However, you may want to consider using whole grain flours to make your own pasta since it’s higher in fiber and nutrients and lower in calories. Also be sure to choose a tomato or veggie based sauce instead of cream-based or cheese sauces if you want a healthier Cavatelli option.
Have your Say about these Cavatelli Maker
What’s your top pick for a Cavatelli machine? Is it one of the options from this list, or you going with another brand (or even making them by hand)? Leave a comment below and let us know. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other homemade pasta enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2020-04-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API